    cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is it?
    Thanks.
    Denny. :) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Dennis E Strausser Jr

    Chip Guest

    There are three possibilties, depending on how old the CPU is.

    If its "old" - like maybe 18months old - then it might be a Palomino chip,
    in which case it can be unlocked by connecting all the L1 bridges.

    If its more recent - but older than around September last year - then good
    news; its unlocked already.

    If its "new" - like after September 03, then its hard locked and -
    practically speaking - there's nothing you can do to unlock it.

    Chip.

    Chip, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Dennis E Strausser Jr

    Wes Newell Guest

    There is no such pin. Which core 2000+ do you have, Palomino, Tbred A, or
    Tbred B? What MB do you have? What are you trying to do?

    Wes Newell, Feb 25, 2004
  4. It's a Thoroughbred b
    I was only thinking after I sent to the group, I did forget MB Gigabyte
    GA-7N400 (none of the extra's that some of these boards have.) But I don't
    really need 4 IDE's 2 IEEE 1394 & Raid Sata just to Overclock.

    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400.htm# The
    number thing is part of the URL

    That kinda makes me wonder a little bit, even on here I see people going
    with Pro Boards all the time.
    Why & what would you want all those extra's for? From what I've seen so
    far, and I have looked.
    It's hard to even find a server case with much more then 8 drive bays, 12.
    I have found one's with 12.
    I can't remember who, but there's boards out there with dual sata quad ide &
    Scsi on board.
    It's got to be the Intel Xeon line somewhere, but I would't bet against
    there being Athlon 64 Dual boards that can do it too.
    one 120Gb is enough for me anyway. And I have a SCSI Card to hook up to if I
    feel I need more room, it's max is 40MB/s

    Sorry for that..
    What can you tell me? I did re-set the board, so the cpu has to be locked if
    it stays @ 12.5x & no higher.
    Denny. :) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Dennis E Strausser Jr

    Ben Pope Guest

    I think in your first post you were referring to changing the 5th bit of the
    multiplier... this is done usually with a pin mod these days... it DOES NOT
    UNLOCK the CPU, it only changes the 5th bit on an UNLOCKED CPU when the
    motherboard does not ahve the ability to do so (many can only change the
    first 4 bits of the multiplier).

    You may have been confusing this with some of the older Athlon CPUs that
    were locked - they could be unlocked by cutting bridges on the top of the
    chip. New (ish) locked Athlon XPs (week 34 or thereabouts) cannot be
    unlocked using this method.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Oh, yeah well. I guess I'm stuck just changing the FSB, I can handle that.
    Just trying to push the thing up to 2800+ or 2600+ Like as if 2000+ 1.67
    to 2400+ 2.05 GHz is not a good Overclock for an
    AMD anyway. vcore is a 7.5% and not just higher. I like that, either
    really turn up the vcore, or tell your system to do it a little for you as
    needed.
    Shame this P4 don't have something like that, it's one of many reasons that
    AMD is getting to be my Fav. system.
    Denny. :) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Dennis E Strausser Jr

    Wes Newell Guest

    Assuming you are wanting to overclock this cpu, just set the FSB to 166Mhz
    instead of 133. I'd also raise vcore to at least 1.65v to start with. As
    long as you PC2700 (or faster) ram, you can leave it 1:1. If everything
    goes weel there, you can slowly raise the FSB to get more speed, which
    will probably also require more vcore and maybe a ram adjustment. I've had
    my Tbred b up to 13x185 with 1.80v vcore. Didn't try any higher.

    Wes Newell, Feb 26, 2004
  8. I pushed a little harder, and I switched the DDR 3200 from this P4 to the
    AMD
    I got it running 2600+ 2.1 GHz On some benchmark tests, I'm not far from
    Matching Intel's P4c 3.2 Ghz
    On mips, I beat it. Used Sisoftware Sandra 2004 Pro. Got it from an
    (Unamed source.)
    Mflops I'm almost in the middle of the two of the P4c 3.2 Ghz
    I wonder how far I can get a already faster cpu.
    PC 2700? I had PC2100 in it before, and I'm finding it's harder to
    Overclock Xerox Memory then it is to Overclock no name Spec Tek INC Memory.
    I also have to slow my P4 down just to stay stable with it in here.
    Before I put it in, I was able to run 3.23 GHz no problem.
    Which is better? Dah? huh? and what?
    How's about, don't care anymore, and I want another AMD. Guess this Intel
    fan has gone Sour on them.
    It sucks to be Intel the more people like me that get tired of waiting for
    them to do what ever.
    And their new CPU Runs too hot, and don't run all that fast. If I remember
    the benchmarks
    on the (Prescott.) I read not so long ago, I'd about beat them
    with my Overclocked 2000+ Eat My Dust, Intel fans.
    Like I'm not still an Intel fan.
    Denny. :) always with a smile, (changed) cause my eyes are so dry, guess I
    should go to bed.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Feb 26, 2004