I like my Acer but my Acer hates me if ...

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Stefan Müller, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Hello folks

    Initially I got to this group when working on some problems I
    encountered with my Acer C314. I found help for some of them, yet for
    the majority I had to find private work-arounds. Some of them I would
    like to share here. So, I like my Acer but my Acer hates me if ...

    .... I put it into hibernation with bluetooth enabled.
    Upon re-activation the bluetooth has gone haywire. Not only have all
    the devices disappeared from the control panel but even the hardware
    itself does not show up anymore! The infamous BTHUSB error is written
    to the system event log.
    The shutting down after that hangs. It says on the screen that windows
    is shutting down yet the hard-disk has stopped long ago and nothing
    seems to go on. A hard shut-down is needed.
    After re-starting, the bluetooth works well, the devices appear without
    need to connect them anew.
    The whole problem does not occur with shutting down.
    -> So alway turn off bluetooth before hibernating. - Otherwise, "laying
    to rest" seemed more accurate. :)
    I use the bluetooth feature for accessing a bluetooth mouse. That way
    there is no need for an extra dongle. Besides the described issue, it
    works perfectly.

    .... I start it with the monitor still closed.
    It will refuse cooperation, regardless whether shut-down or
    hibernating. - Talk about vanity here!

    Other than that it is a great machine. I like the 14'' screen plus the
    CPU-performance (and the relatively moderate price, of course). My main
    use of the tablet features lies in creating math demos that would take
    forever with layout-focused software.

    I dislike the keyboard layout, though. How can you put the home and end
    keys where they can only be accessed by pressing the function key -
    which lies on the opposite side of the keyboard?! Talk about Ctrl-Home
    etc. and make me dream of my past Acer 1300 keyboard.

    The Intel wireless drivers needed to be up-dated in order to prevent
    the wireless connectivity rate from gradually dropping to zero. I am
    using SP2 and the zero configuration and it works well now.

    The following has occured occasionally:
    The booting process gets hung-up somewhere. It stops to exhibit a black
    screen with a faint underscore cursor blinking in the top left corner.
    At the moment I cannot recall how to reproduce it, though. It seemed to
    be tied to the bluetooth issue. I shall post a follow-up if I find out.

    Hope to spare a little bit of time with this report for other users. If
    there is any more hints, please post!

    Cheers!

    St. Müller
    Switzerland

    Stefan Müller, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Stefan,

    Great post. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    Fritz

    --
    Fritz Switzer
    Microsoft Tablet PC MVP

    Fritz Switzer, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Stefan Müller

    Chris H. Guest

    Excellent information, Stefan. Thanks for posting! Bluetooth is definitely
    a different animal, even on non-Tablet PCs. There are numerous Microsoft
    Knowledge Base articles for work-arounds to get Bluetooth functional,
    including making sure the discovery option is enabled:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870882 Glad you are
    enjoying your Tablet!

    Chris H., Nov 26, 2005
  4. Yeah I think Bluetooth is the most fragile technology on these tablets. Even
    connecting to the internet through my phone. I've gotten used to most of the
    workarounds I need to do to make it work in various scenarios but that's
    after months of practice. It's very difficult to get right. Even still I've
    never gotten bluetooth to work right with ActiveSync and that's with 3
    different phones, 3 different bluetooth devices on the laptop or tablet.

    Also, there are a couple utilities around that allow you to remap your scan
    code keys. I did this with my Acer C110 because as a programmer, Home/End
    keys were a must have and I couldn't deal with the Fn+

    --
    Josh Einstein
    Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 2.0 - Try it free for 14 days

    Josh Einstein, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Thanks Josh! This was the piece of information I have been waiting for.
    I have long wondered how to reassign the Alt-, Fn- etc. keys.

    Converting the native US keyboard to the Swiss-German layout by the
    Microsoft Layout Creator, I wondered if there was no way to improve the
    function keys' layout. I just googled up the necessary information.
    Should be a breeze. :)

    St. Müller

    Stefan Müller, Nov 26, 2005