    new notebooks with Vista premium and an old desktop (P4) with Vista
    business, Vista runs so nice and smooth and so intuitive I hardly want to
    use xp any more, that's my take. John

    John, Mar 9, 2007

  2. John

    Lez Pawl Guest

    the law of averages, for the 10 that we see complaining there are 1000 we
    don't see.

    I want to have a dabble myself really............

    Lez Pawl, Mar 9, 2007

  3. John

    Lez Pawl Guest

    meant to say......don't see that are happy.

    Lez Pawl, Mar 9, 2007
  4. John

    PeterD Guest

    There were people who liked Windows Me too... <g> Personally, I find
    Vista to be non-intuitive, bloated and really slow. A new machine,
    with an AMD 64 dual-core processor, 2 gig of ram runs about the same
    speed as my now aging 1.6/1Gig notebook... That's sad...

    PeterD, Mar 9, 2007
  5. John

    RnR Guest

    Hard to believe from all accounts that I read. Can't argue of course
    because you said "we don't see".

    RnR, Mar 9, 2007
  6. John

    Carl Keehn Guest

    We got one of those "Vista Special" laptops, the one with the mysterious
    Intel T2060 processors. Vista home premium runs just fine on it, even with
    1 gig of memory, Aero performs well. We don't use it for gaming so onboard
    graphics are not an issue. Vista seems to be a very nice, capable system
    and for our use, is very stable right out of the box. The only stumbling
    point that we have found is that it presently won't run Toontown. Disney
    has admitted that Toontown is not Vista capable yet, that they are working
    on the issue. Other than that we have no complaints.

    We also have two XP MCE 2005 machines. Would we upgrade them to Vista Home
    Premium? No, they work just fine the way they are. It will probably be a
    while before we would need to upgrade the operating system and by then, we
    would also probably need to upgrade the machines.

    Carl Keehn, Mar 9, 2007
  7. John

    WSZsr Guest

    I also like Vista. It is a combination of many little enhancements that I
    appreciate. I also like the discovery process that anything new offers. At
    my age, I am easily entertained.

    I have an XPS 410 with 2MB of RAM and an E6400 processor and an Inspiron
    6000 with integrated video and 1 MB RAM. I installed to freshly formatted
    hard drives. Both Run Vista well and I find it more stable than XP. I do
    not find Vista noticeably slower as some have said.

    I find it interesting that so many complain about Vista and wonder how many
    have actually given it a fair chance.

    WSZsr, Mar 9, 2007
  8. John

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm very impressed with the concise, compact code in Vista, if it runs well
    in 2MB of memory. Amazing!

    Tom Scales, Mar 9, 2007
  9. John

    RnR Guest

    Me too !! And to think I was thinking of memory in terms of gigs;
    how dumb of me.

    RnR, Mar 9, 2007
  10. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    Running anyhing significant other than IE 7.0 and Microsoft Office on that there
    computer with Vista? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2007
  11. John

    Journey Guest

    I think Microsoft could have done a lot better with Vista. I am less
    concerned with a Glass effect and more concerned about functionality.
    I don't know why there is all this emphasis on Aero Glass.

    Taskbar buttons for example. They are in the order in which things
    are opened. I want to be able to drag and drop their positions. I
    have a utility program that does this, so oit shouldn't be hard for
    Microsoft.

    The start menu in which you can type a name and get to the program
    quickly is good, but enable that in the hierarchical view too. As a
    person types the letters, the hierarchical tree can change. Products
    like Info Select (www.miclog.com) do this.

    Identifying folder sizes. Is there that capability in Vista? I use
    Tree Size Pro in XP. There should be some way to do that in Vista. I
    think the Mac OS has had this for a long time.

    I do like the folder search bar in the upper right of folders.

    I do like how the Explorer indents smartly which is good for laptops.
    However, please give us a dual window view into two folder heirarchies
    (like Power Desk).

    I would have expected a lot more, but Microsoft is a relatively
    unregulated monopoly that can plod along because it doesn't have
    competition.

    Vista is slower. I tried it on my new 640m laptop with two 7200 rpm
    drives -- Vista vs. XP. XP is the clear winner.

    My situation is that I have a _lot_ of utilities I have invested in
    that run on XP but not Vista. Also, there are not drivers out for
    most of my hardware.

    (I do realize that there have been a lot of changes "under the hood"
    that I am not aware of, to increase security and that kind of thing,
    but there are so many good user interface changes that they could ahve
    made).

    And the monopoly plods along. Microsoft is getting into anti-virus.
    Windows Media Player, that comes with every system, will edge out
    iTunes, giving the future (not present) Zunes a competitive advantage.
    Microsoft seems to be leveraging on all fronts, and it can afford it.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  12. John

    Journey Guest

    I agree.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  13. John

    Journey Guest

    lol, Office 2007 is a resource hog. Vista is slower... 2M RAM on my
    laptop, same hardware XP vs. Vista -- Vista is noticeably slower.

    (and what is it with Glass anyway...)

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  14. John

    WSZsr Guest

    Never considered that aspect Tom. Yes are correct. This is the first new
    OS that required more memory or storage...........

    WSZsr, Mar 9, 2007
  15. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    Why all the emphasis on Aero Glass? Microsoft needs to have something almost
    tangilble to sell, that's why... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2007
  16. John

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, no....

    MB.

    It was a joke. Should be GB. Just a typo.

    Tom Scales, Mar 9, 2007
  17. John

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    My main dig against Vista is its hardware requirements. If you want to
    run Vista complete with its new UI, Aero, you need some pretty hefty
    hardware in order to just hit the power switch. What's worse is that many
    of Aero's features have been implemented elsewhere using much fewer system
    requirements. For instance, Stardock Systems' Object Desktop product was
    allowing me to do many of Aero's effects almost 10 years(!) ago on a
    measly 200Mhz Pentium. I know you don't HAVE to run Aero, but you'll miss
    out on a lot of Vista's newer features otherwise.

    Even ignoring Aero altogether, systems running Vista - just Vista - use up
    more system resources than when they were running XP. This means there's
    less memory and CPU cycles available for YOUR applications - which is the
    only reason you're running the computer in the first place.

    Another major beef I have against Vista is Microsoft's insistance that
    DirectX 10 will only be released for Vista. DirectX is an API
    encompassing libraries used by video cards, sound cards, and game
    controllers. This makes it easier for game developers to write games for
    Windows. The latest version of DirectX, 9.0c, will work for any game on
    the market today. However, Microsoft is encouraging developers to move
    onto DirectX 10 as soon as possible. As DirectX 10 compatible games start
    appearing on the market, gamers, like myself, will have no choice BUT to
    upgrade if we want to play those games. Combined with Vista's hunger for
    hardware, a decent gaming rig for Vista is going to be pretty expensive.

    The computer does not exist for the OS, it exists for the applications you
    want to run. The OS merely acts as an interface between your hardware and
    applications. It should not be the main reason for using a computer.
    Unfortunatly, Microsoft has long since forgotten this and has blurred this
    line between "OS" and "application" since its Windows product first
    debuted for DOS all those many years ago.

    Doug Jacobs, Mar 9, 2007
  18. John

    Jeff Guest

    Jeff, Mar 9, 2007
  19. John

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    There is considerably changed between XP and Vista "under the hood" as you
    put it, but none are are really visible to the end user.
    WMP has shipped with Windows for awhile now - not that you have (or want)
    to use it. I usually use VLC or BSPlayer myself. Better codec support,
    no stupid security holes, and an all-round better interface.

    Likewise there's nothing to stop you from using iTunes, Firefox,
    Thunderbird, OpenOffice, or any other number of applications that replace
    specific "built-in" versions that ship with Windows.

    I personally see nothing appealing about the Zune due to its horrendous
    DRM schemes. iTunes, too, has its detractors. I think it's more
    important to find an application that works for you, instead of feeling
    "forced" use what Microsoft gives you.

    Doug Jacobs, Mar 9, 2007
  20. John

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    I know you're only being partially cynical here, but it's also true.

    None of Vista's other improvements are really that apparent to the
    end-user and Microsoft has trained the market to expect a new UI with a
    new version, and therefore to think "new UI" somehow means "Better".

    A new UI wouldn't be such a bad thing if it didn't require(!) 1GB of RAM
    and a 3d-enabled video card.

    Worse still, many of the Vista systems I see places like Best Buy pushing
    on hapless customers nowadays barely have the specs to run Vista, much
    less anything else. Yeah, you can get a $600 laptop with Vista on it, but
    it's barely able to boot the UI, let alone actually DO something like
    browse the web or read email...

    Doug Jacobs, Mar 9, 2007