    browse through Comp USA, etc., it may be. People do like
    aesthetically pleasing OS's. If it's pretty it must be good. Is that
    it?

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007

  2. John

    Journey Guest

    Yes, 1G RAM with poor video or heaven forbit 512M RAM. I think
    eventually Vista will be part of increasing the specs of low-end
    systems, but it will probably take a while.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007

  3. John

    Journey Guest

    I agree with everything you say above. I use Winamp although it's
    getting more "commercial". I will check out the ones you mention.

    There is nothing to stop _me_ from using anything, I am thinking from
    the perspective of future consumers that aren't computer savvy. The
    fact that MS can continuously improve, which is their M.O., things
    bundled with Windows and connect them to future versions of hardware
    (Zune's) that tie closely with the Media Player that ships with
    Windows.

    Personally I hate the Zune. It's ugly, I heard there are technical
    glitches with it like a FM problem draining the battery, it doesn't
    support Audible (although if you get wind that it does before it
    becomes common knowledge, ADBL will get a pop). I have a 80G iPod
    which I like but with that much loaded on it the scrolling gets
    tedious. The best interface, format support, is the iRiver Clix. I
    have that and I love it.

    Also, who came up with the name Zune. I think a 6th grade class could
    come up with a better name. What does "Zune" mean anyway?

    So, for me I am perfectly fine. I am thinking in the grander scheme
    of future consumers using a Microsoft OS that continues to
    assimiliate. Although I think they do it slowly on purpose -- having
    Firefox popular helps keep the anti-trust people away.

    Although I think Microsoft is an evil splotch on the capitalist
    system, I certainly don't know what could be done about it. I don't
    think anyone should be allowed to be a billionare, even if they plan
    on giving some of their money away 50 years after Bill, Melinda, and
    Warren die. (nice thing to do, nice smoke screen too).

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  4. John

    Journey Guest

    YES !!! I use Object Dock from the same company. I have utility
    programs on XP that blow the Vista interface away. I am fairly
    certain that they will be upgraded for Vista which is when I will make
    my switch -- when I can run the utilities to give me the interface
    that Microsoft should be providing.
    Which are... ? The 3-d switching of Windows. OMG if that's the main
    innovation they should have checked out what enhancements are
    available from other companies and designed something efficiently like
    they were able to.
    Yes, when I run Vista I go to classic mode. It makes the most use of
    screen space to display applications and taskbar buttons, and uses far
    less system resources.
    Yep. These are the kind of planned hooks to sell Vista to generate
    more revenue. The purpose of life for corporations -- not to improve
    the life of people, to meet the EPS numbers so that the stock price
    will go up.

    This is the kind of thing would be good to have MS regulated.
    Companies should be able to submit complaints, and have them
    considered. This is an obvious one.
    Yes. The Mac has the interface but not the programs, which is why I
    use Windows. I have a set of phenomally useful / creative programs
    which don't run on the Mac, which has a superior OS.
    This is one area where I disagree (symantics though). Microsoft very
    well knows that its $$$ cash cow is its OS.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  5. John

    Journey Guest

    Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Perfect illustration of
    what MS included in Vista can be done on XP with simple utilities, and
    much more efficiently.

    The XP user interface improvements are pathetic.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  6. John

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good for you. You're ahead of the curve. We'll all be there eventually by
    force or by choice.

    S.Lewis, Mar 9, 2007
  7. John

    Journey Guest

    I mean the Vista interface improvements are pathetic.

    Journey, Mar 9, 2007
  8. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    You got it! In Redmond, if it's pretty, it must be good. Windows XP is
    essentially Windows 2000 with lipstick, stiletto heels, fishnet stockings and
    minor plastic surgery underneath (e.g. built-in CD burning). Windows Vista
    does not bare it all, but Aero Glass makes it all pretty transparent. Also
    transparently pretty... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2007
  9. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    You've got me wrong. I am being completely cynical. A friend of mine stated
    knowingly today that the public is suffering en masse from the Stockholm
    syndrome under the control of Microsoft. Just dwell on that one for a
    minute... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2007
  10. John

    Journey Guest

    Hahaha I had to laugh -- VERY good description :)

    Journey, Mar 10, 2007
  11. John

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hey, I like new toys, even if they're bad for me.

    I think all the anti-Vista hype is just that, hype. Like any new OS, it's
    bigger and requires more resources. So what, Moore's law is our friend.

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2007
  12. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    There you go again. A living and breathing example of Stockholm syndrome,
    praising our captor Microsoft. But at least you have the right perspective.
    Vista is a toy, and you are not forced to do real work with it. Believe me,
    anti-Vista is not hype. It's just another example of Microsoft's poor products,
    carrying forward from original design (too complex) to testing (never
    comprehensive enough). But they've got us all by the short hairs.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2007
  13. John

    WSZsr Guest

    Opinions are a dime a dozen. Everyone has one. I like the interface
    improvements. That is my opinion. $.0085 please.

    WSZsr, Mar 10, 2007
  14. John

    Tom Scales Guest

    To each his own. I like it. We'll see how productive it is. I don't,
    however, like Office 2007, as the user interface changes are horrible (to
    me).

    But as I said, I like my toys. Why else would I own not one, but two,
    convertibles.

    But at least I live in Florida.

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2007
  15. John

    Journey Guest

    OK, but your opinion is worth more than $.10 / 12. Let's assume that
    our opinions are worth 2 cents. You take one and I'll take one. Both
    of our opinions are valid, and if together they are worth 2 cents we
    can split it :)

    Journey, Mar 10, 2007
  16. John

    Journey Guest

    I broke a few of my own rules:

    1) Don't use the word pathetic. I don't like that word, it has too
    many judgemental connotations, in fact, I think it's pretty pathetic
    (ooops).

    2) Be more descriptiive instead of apply general adjectives that
    don't add value.

    So, here is what I think about Vista interface improvemetns.

    - They are a disappointment, because I expected more. Perhaps user
    interface improvements (functionality, features) were not the highest
    priority with Vista.

    - I do like the new explorer even though it doesn't allow you to have
    two folder hierarchies in side by side panes. If the left folder tree
    isn't wide enough, it intelligenlty goes left and right depending on
    where they cursor is. Very nice, especially for laptop users.

    - I think over time there will be certain times when the 3-d task
    switching would be nice. Usually I just like brining up the alt+tab,
    seeing the items available, and directly clicking one. If I am more
    tired, late at night, and want to switch to something which would be
    easily visibly identifiable, like Palm desktop, windows + tab would be
    nice.

    - Generally I don't like Windows Vista Glass. A lot of it is due to
    my wanting more of what I would call a "clean, crisp" user interface.
    I always go back to "classic" (the 95 type look). In the future
    though, when it doesn't impact performance, I might like it more, so
    it could lay the groundwork for the future which is a big thing about
    what new OS's are intended to do.

    In general, all of my previous comments apply. They point mainly to
    Vista not being right for me right now due to incompatibility of the
    applications I currently run, the need for drivers for a lot of my
    hardware, and utililities that don't currently run on Vista that
    extend my XP interface far beyond what what Vista has.

    One positive (based partly on luck) is that I was able to get my main
    bread and butter apps to run on Vista. Info Select, Mind Manager,
    Office 2003, and Palm programs.

    I will be OK with switching to Vista in a year or so, and I am all set
    up to do so because I bought systems that had Vista Business and then
    installed fresh copies of XP using prior licensec versions.

    I am disappointed in some user interface improvements, obvious ones,
    that were not implemented. However, I wasn't beta testing and giving
    my input. Not that it would matter for Vista, but for products in the
    past it has mattered, and many of my suggestions are in programs like
    Mind Manager, Palm's Bonsai and Shadow Plan, which I get free upgrades
    for because of my input.

    A big part of me wants the Mac OS on one of my computers. The smarter
    part of me knows that I am better off focusing more on the software
    than the OS.

    Journey, Mar 10, 2007
  17. John

    Leythos Guest

    Vista is nice eye-candy, but it's very bloaded and CPU intensive - makes
    Norton Internet Security look like a 2K machine language program :)

    I have Vista Business running on P4/3.2ghz HT machines with 1 - 2GB RAM
    and even a Dual Xeon 3ghz machine with 4GB RAM - it's just slower than XP
    on the exact same platforms and it's base is about 700MB RAM just sitting
    there.

    There are many apps that will not properly run on it, not to mention the
    video driver issues and needing 256MB or More of video memory to play
    games...

    I can't justify any one upgrading to Vista as long as XP is supported.

    Leythos, Mar 12, 2007
  18. John

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    That's another thing that irks me about Vista. Many of the same UI
    enhancements have been available (or at least possible) using this or
    another product. Back in '97 I was running the desktop suite from
    Stardock Systems on a lowly 200Mhz Pentium and it did much of the stuff
    Vista does now - WITHOUT a 1Ghz CPU. WITHOUT 1GB RAM. WITHOUT a 3d
    graphics card.

    For such a jump in system requirements, Vista seemingly gives very little
    performance in return.

    Doug Jacobs, Mar 13, 2007