    like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
    me? Thank you.

    ==============

    Rhinoceros82, May 26, 2004

  2. Rhinoceros82

    JJ Guest

    Actually you are correct about Server 2003. It is a business platform and
    not a gaming platform. You will find some programs that will not run
    properly and driver support is limited for many items such as some video
    cards. To enter the BIOS hold down the del key at bootup. Usually it is when
    you see the Dell logo. Also if you have 2 CD drives be sure that the XP CD
    is in the master drive or it may not be recognized.

    Regards,
    John O.

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    JJ, May 26, 2004

  3. Rhinoceros82

    pen Guest

    Press the DEL key right after turn on.

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    pen, May 26, 2004
  4. Rhinoceros82

    Rhinoceros82 Guest

    Thanks for showing me how to get to the BIOS screen, however, I cant
    seem to get my computer to boot from the cd rom drive at start up. I
    went to the "Boot" tab and selected "ATAPI CD ROM" as the 1st boot
    device and when I restart the computer it says something like "no
    recognizable boot disk in drive A." Why would it say that when the
    cd rom drive is the D drive. If anyone can help it would be greatly
    appreciated. In the meantime I am going to call Dell. I hope they
    are still willing to show me how to fix this even though the computer
    was purchased about 5-6 years ago.

    ==============

    Rhinoceros82, May 27, 2004
  5. Rhinoceros82

    JJ Guest

    Per chance is this a Dell XP CD? For some reason the older Dell systems do
    not recognize the Dell XP disc as bootable. But if you put a retail version
    of the CD in the drive, it boots just fine. I have a feeling it has to do
    with the boot file on the disc.

    JJ, May 27, 2004
  6. Rhinoceros82

    Pen Guest

    D0oes the CDROM work when you are booted up in Win2003?

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Pen, May 27, 2004
  7. message | Hello. This is the problem that I am having:

    | I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my Dell
    | Dimension 4100 (I probably shouldnt have done that). And I would
    | like to get rid of this operating system and return to using Windows
    | XP. But when I load the Windows XP CD into the CD Drive it does not
    | allow me to install it. I tried to reboot and access the BIOS so I
    | can tell it to read whats in the CD Drive first but I cannot access
    | the BIOS, I do not see anything like "press F2 for setup" or anything
    | like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
    | me? Thank you.
    |
    | ==============
    | Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    If you cannot boot from the CD you can download and create a 6 disk
    boot/setup floppy set from Microsoft that should allow you to begin the XP
    setup process booting from the A:\ drive.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q310994

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.