    same performances.....

    Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm French.

    Arnaud

    Arnaud, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Both are heavy (3.5 kg) machines with 15" XGA displays. Personally, I
    don't see the point in running XGA on a 15" display: if you want to
    use XGA, get a smaller display (the 12.1" display on my IBM ThinkPad
    X31 is more than enough for XGA); if you want to use a 15" display,
    get SXGA+ resolution (1400x1050).

    Their processors (Celeron 2.4 GHz for the Packard Bell, Pentium 4 2.8
    GHz) aren't the best choice for laptops IMO: they are power-hungry,
    which translates in lots of heat, need for the fan to run often (=
    noisy) and shorter battery life. You would be better off with a
    Pentium M, or an equivalent AMD processor.
    If you want to get a similar machine as the above, have a look at the
    IBM ThinkPad R51 (nicer and shouldn't cost that much more). If you can
    afford to spend a bit more, consider the ThinkPad T4x.

    HTH, Dominique

    Dominique Pivard, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Arnaud

    Papa Guest

    I wouldn't buy anything made by Packard-Bell. They have been ripping off the
    public for years with their low quality junk. My favorite brands are Dell,
    Gateway, and HP.

    Papa, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
    are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?

    Arnaud, Jul 17, 2004
  5. Am Samstag, 17. Juli 2004 11:03 schrieb Arnaud:
    Not at all.

    * Hewlett Packard (HP) was founded by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard
    in 1938: "in the garage with $538 in working capital".
    learn more: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/timeline/

    * Packard-Bell however "is the consumer brand of NEC Computers
    International, a subsidiary of NEC Corporation."
    learn more: http://www.packardbell.com/company.htm

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 17, 2004
  6. Arnaud

    Papa Guest

    No. They are entirely different companies and are not associated with each
    other in any way. At present, Packard Bell is a subsidiary of NEC
    Corporation. Hewlett Packard, also known as HP, was founded by
    Stanford University classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard in 1939.

    Papa, Jul 17, 2004
  7. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    OK. Thank you.
    Actually I thought It was the same, because of the promomity of the names (I
    thought it was a kind of association)

    Arnaud, Jul 17, 2004
  8. Arnaud

    rlking Guest

    Buy a Dell or forget it! That's my advise.

    rlking, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    thank you

    Arnaud

    Arnaud, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Arnaud

    Stuart Levy Guest

    Packard-Bell used to be a more respectable name once upon a time...

    The oldest computer for which I ever saw its manual
    was a Packard-Bell 250, built sometime in the 1960's, with 22-bit words,
    a hardware integer square root instruction, and *acoustic delay line* memory.
    That meant the memory wasn't really random-access; bits circulated around
    the delay line, so it was best to refer to memory locations that were just
    about to pop out of the delay line. There were a bunch of delay lines,
    one of them much shorter than the rest, for fast-access storage.
    I don't remember the capacity, but it probably had a few kilobytes
    of memory in all.

    Those were the days...

    :~)

    Stuart Levy