    i really need to kno how to get rid of the ms dos subsystem... and hey
    this is just like gaiaonline too

    ==============

    eve, Aug 3, 2004

  2. eve

    Dekaritae Guest

    Try alt.os.windows-xp or alt.os.windows2000.

    Dekaritae, Aug 3, 2004

  3. eve

    Ava Keech Guest

    Ava Keech, Aug 3, 2004
  4. What version of Windows are you running?

    Why do you want to 'get rid' of MS-DOS?

    If you are running XP, 2000, or NT, MS-DOS is just a little program called
    CMD or COMMAND; it only runs when it is invoked (such as when you type CMD
    in the RUN box). Having it on your PC doesn't hurt anything.

    If you are running 95, 98, or ME, MS-DOS is really the operating system of
    your PC. Windows is merely a program that runs within MS-DOS. Microsoft
    went to great lengths to hide this fact from users but it's true. When a
    95/98/ME PC boots up, the last thing that occurs in MS-DOS is that the
    WIN.COM program runs, which starts Windows.

    Let me guess what you are really asking. Something has happened to keep
    Windows from starting automatically. Thus, you are actually seeing the
    MS-DOS environment that is always there but is usually well hidden. To find
    out whether I am right, try typing WIN at the Command prompt. If Windows
    starts up, then one fix would be to simply add a line with the word WIN to
    the end of your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. If Windows tries to start up but fails
    to do so, you may need to re-install Windows.

    Larry Scholnick, Aug 3, 2004