I NOW OFFICIALY HATE AMD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, May 20, 2011.

  1. Skybuck Flying

    Shaun Guest

    "Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

    Ok,

    I think I love AMD now again ! ;) =D

    There stock cooler and stock fan are real easy to clean !

    So perhaps I didn't have to buy a new one... I don't have a new one so it
    better work... but I do also still have the scythe zipang but it's large.

    I made a whole lot of screenshots of the build process including some very
    very very very interesting pictures of the stock cooler and fan and how to
    open it and clean !

    It's going to be awesome !

    But for now I don't want to jinx it... and I will probably start posting
    photo's when I am back behind my DreamPC again... unless something goes
    terrible wrong ! ;) =D

    So stay tuned... perhaps I will decide otherwise... but I want to give you
    guys the full story... so it will probably be back up in a few days.

    Because I am gonna let everything dry since I watch the stock cooler...

    Hmm... I just had an idea... I could also wash the fans on the antec 1200
    case...

    But that's a bit too much work I think... so I am gonna let them be...

    If it ain't broke don't fix it they say...

    The cpu stock cooler was dirty though and it definetly needed a cleansing...
    as well as the stock fan... it probably was so dirty because of oil i
    dropped into it from outside which probably didnt work well and ofcourse
    dust and probably transportation bus gasses or so it was pretty dirty... I
    got a nice dirty screen shot for ya later on... "it looked like a dirty
    pooper" I will write lol... I already blew most of the dust out of it but it
    was still dirty... "dropping oil into heatsink and fan from outside not a
    good idea, it makes sticky black droppings" ;) =D

    I wish I could clean my antec 1200 case better... I probably could but to
    much work..

    I also noticed the ocz power supply has some gue in it here and there... I
    don't like it... but it's probably to keep things in place during transport
    or so... it also smells real bad... I guess it's new smell of all stuff...

    So coming days I'll be venting my place well ! ;) =D

    Everything coming together nicely... I do have to probably sticky tape some
    cables on the back side of the motherboard or perhaps I will simply shut it
    without the tape because the tape kinda sux and is annoying and some get
    loose and makes it a bit messy it's also probably not needed except for a
    few large parts or so ! ;) :)

    So I'll probably re-do a section of the tapes as well.

    So far it's all looking pretty good ! ;) =D

    I hope this gonna be the best PC ever for me...

    Oh by the way I also reconnected the 7-in-1 floppy drive... hopefully it
    will work this time and also audio connectors and usb for front chasis,
    pretty cool but I don't really need them so bad... but it's still kinda nice
    to have fully functional machine... only thing not attached yet is audio
    cable from dvd rom to motherboard... maybe I do that later too... not sure
    if it's really needed... but probably need for music cd's... but I don't
    have any but ok ;)

    Actually that reminds me... I do have a dvd movie from somebody lieing
    around here... but it will probably be played software wise... and data
    wise... so audio cable probably not necessary. I am not even sure if I have
    one... maybe it's already in other pc... I probably should one... I probably
    had two.

    Ok well later peeps... I've been real busy with all this stuff... it's
    amazing how much time it costs... so it's a good idea to build a system
    which lasts ! ;) =D

    Yeah no more hot and dusty systems for me in the future, that's for sure...
    and these power wall sockets are hopefully gonna get grounded soon ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    You Moron,

    The only other CPU manufacturer is Intel and they make the best stuff,
    they're also more expensive. Full specifications - what a load of crap, Do
    you have any idea how many specs there would be from a cpu with Billions of
    transistors in it. You would understand any of it anyway.
    Your DreamPC is substandard, your using a ASROCK mini motherboard, if you
    want to play with the big guns you have to go ASUS or Gigabyte. An AM2 is
    nothing to write home about. Your DreamPC with likely fail again in the
    near future because an idiot like you built it.

    Shaun

    Shaun, May 26, 2011

  2. Skybuck Flying

    mikea Guest

    Stop GodsDamnit Morphing so I can killfile you properly!

    mikea, May 27, 2011

  3. There are still ways of buying "OEM" (fanless) AMD CPUs, but there's not
    much price advantage, and an even worse warranty issue.

    OEM cpus (don't matter if AMD or Intel) at best carry a 90-day
    warrantee. "Boxed Product" usually gives you at least a year.

    Typically, all you save on $ is $10-20 (USD) by going the OEM route.

    As for the cooler fan on "Boxed Product" AMD or Intel, they do work.
    Often they are noise-y . So be it. I've yet to have any "quibbles" over
    replacing a crap HSF with a "known-good" HSF on the few hassles on "not
    the stock crap.

    --
    "Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
    We're like that crazy old man jumping

    Nobody > (Revisited), May 27, 2011

  4. Absolutely. Those first series AMD X2 64 class processors (socket 939)
    were the epitome of Lesson Number 1 of heat source to heat sink mating
    REQUIREMENTS.

    You only get about 6 seconds before it fries. The earlier stuff (pre
    x64) was even worse, and the fail would also carry through and fry your
    MOBO too.

    Sum Ting Wong, May 27, 2011
  5. Skybuck Flying

    miso Guest

    One of the really early AMD CPUs was shipped in a manner where the
    heat of the CPU was used to melt the heat sink compound. You build
    enough systems and it all becomes a blur, but I'm sure it predated the
    939. That is the heat sink compound was supplied "dry" so to speak,
    and it got mushed when you fired up the CPU.

    I think the 939s I built came with the heat sink, though I put
    Zalman's on the them rather than the free heat sink. I take that
    back. I originally use Gigabyte "rocket" fans, but one failed, so I
    went Zalman. It was a lot of work since the Zalman required the mobo
    to be pulled from the case.

    I'm patiently waiting for the AMD bulldozers to come out.

    Both mobos suffered from crappy Chinese cap syndrome, though it took a
    few years for the caps to pop. That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and
    not a mobo to be found.

    miso, May 27, 2011
  6. I'm starting to hate AMD again.

    The DreamPC is now back together and cooler and nice then ever before I
    guess except perhaps gaming performance.

    So far all games are runnable at 30 fps.

    Not all games because DX is missing but that will probably be fixed in the
    near future.

    Anyway the AMD CPU fan is spinning at 3000+ RPM and it's probably the source
    of noise !

    It's pretty annoying even with ear plugs in... though the case is still
    open... hopefully that noise will go away when the case is closed.

    If not I will have to find a way to lower it's RPM... however I fear the
    motherboard has no futures for this.

    Also there is now so much cool air going into the case that I must now worry
    about hot, cold, hot, cold cycles which could burst chips or something.

    So perhaps I should even set inlet fans at lowest speed which would be real
    nice for noise... but I can't hear them already... too low air speed might
    result into dust settling so that wouldn't be too good.

    I also tested the USB 7-in-1 card reader and it's fricking working which is
    really nice ! I connected it correctly the first time ! cool.

    However it also worked the first time on my old dream pc hardware and then
    stopped working... so will it continue to work ?! Time will tell ! ;) =D

    So far I saw 3 demos from nvidia all run:

    arienna, froggy, smoke

    It was all cool, especially the adrienne and especially froggy... which was
    awesome... but slapping frogs is a big no-no you bunch of animal molesters !
    LOL.

    I made video of it all to prove it.

    Also to my surprise Quake 3 run pretty much perfectly at 1920x1200 at 60 fps
    so I am happy about that...

    At least I can quake well ! ;) =D

    The transparent gui is also supported after installing the drivers so that's
    working nicely... so far GT 520 tested.... the radeon gpu not tested yet...

    The GT 520 is very interesting since it apperently supports 3D Vision !

    Which is a big plus in my oppinion this allows me to probably enjoy 3D
    movies like avatar and play 3D games or something... at least this allows me
    to experiment with it... though I would need to buy glasses, which I will
    probably do just for the kick of it ! So I don't need a tiny little fricking
    nintendo 3DS to experience it ! COOOOOLL.

    So the prospect of viewing 3D movies is pretty cool... Haven't tried playing
    a movie yet, except my own H264 or x264 tank smasher video which didn't
    play... not sure why.. maybe it needs dx drivers, this will probably be
    resolved in near future.

    Manuals were in pdf so couldn't read those since no acrobat on windows 7
    yet... it needs to be installed first.

    Also the asus cards comes with GamerOSD "on screen display" ??? I have no
    idea how it works... I started it but then nothing... it's maybe for
    capturing video of games.

    The asus gt 520 silent card also came with "smart doctor" which is pretty
    cool it allows easy overclocking/underclocking of graphics and it comes with
    temperature meters which is real nice ! Now I can keep track of heat ! ;) =D

    It did see that it goes up in heat quite fast to 40c or so... and the X-Fi
    soundblaster is right below it so this is a bit worrieing... though the new
    power supply sucks lot's of air too so perhaps it will suck some heat away
    from the card... what it's exact temperature is during game still need to be
    seen, the idea of under clocking the card for safety seems pretty cool to
    me... I could then also use this for running cuda applications a long time !

    The motherboard's software is also able to underclock the CPU and shows
    wattage... for power efficiency... this is cool, unfortunately it does not
    lower the cpu fan speed, cool n quiet in bios was on auto I set it to on...
    the tool could probably change this itself... but still it doesn't control
    the cpu fan.

    Also 3 TB harddisks are probably supported which is nice info's for others
    but for me I'm probably maxed out.. though I could still replace one HD
    which had a bad sector... so I could still stuff 6 more GB into it by buying
    new HD's if I want too or even wait for bigger hd's which is pretty cool.

    Cables to power supply were detachable so nicely cleaned up it has enough
    power cables for more harddisk/sata power cables as well as old ide power
    cables, though sides have to be cut of from connectors if those are to be
    stuck against the back motherboard plate to tuck them away.

    I have plenty of sata cables... I got so many sata cables it's almost insane
    ;) =D

    Also I couldn't actually see 3d vision in action it requires setup first...
    of glasses maybe I could skip or fake it... I also tried red/green glasses
    but didn't get past the setup screen... probably colors a bit off... but
    it's probably doable.

    Soundblaster also works nicely... I haven't tested yet with 4 GB enable in
    windows... so far 2GB enabled...

    I will test this later ofcourse as well to see if crackingly gone... maybe
    if power sockets in wall are replaced the crackling will be gone... who
    knows...
    So far so good... no slow restart issue's so that's nice.

    I will probably continue testing with booting into windows xp instead of
    windows 7 to be able to test my old software configuration which was huge...
    this would allow me to test a lot of stuff...

    First I need to figure out how I want to do this.. via real hd which has a
    bad sector or via vdh/virtual disk which has a copy of it... I haven't made
    up my mind about that... I think it would be best via vhd but then I first
    have to fix the boot menu which for some reason complains... it will also be
    better via vdh I think since then I can proceed using that.

    First I have to go stick cables against the back plate and then try and shut
    (with doors) the pc for safety. I'm probably not gonna stick every cable
    like last time... just that cables that need sticking.

    So far everything is pretty good.

    Only two things I am slightly disappointed about:

    1. cpu fan spinning at full speed.

    2. doom 3 run at 15 to 30 fps at 1920x1200 or so.. maybe even slower... but
    that's not so bad for a passively cool card... it will probably run faster
    at 640x480 or 800x600 or 1024x768 etc.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011
  7. Concerning the cpu fan... the motherboard does claim to support "speed fan
    control" but it requires a 4 pin connector, the AMD CPU fan is only 3 pin
    connector.

    So I will probably need a new cpu fan or an entire new cpu cooler or find
    another solution for it ;)

    But at least according to the motherboard it is possible.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011
  8. "
    That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and not a mobo to be found.
    "

    ASRock has a 939 "mobo"... I have one in my DreamPC right now... so far it's
    working ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011
  9. Skybuck Flying

    miso Guest

    Why would anyone sell a 939 mobo in 2011?

    I'll go look to see if it is being sold, but you have to wonder why
    bother. I built a quad core AMD for a server that still runs (used to
    be linux, but I had to put the win7 drives on it after the 939 mobo
    blew). At some point, running old PCs gets silly if you use them a
    lot.

    I'm going to attempt to set up the bulldozer with Xen virtualization.
    Assuming the bulldozer has an IOMMU, I should be able to have full
    hardware control. You may bitch about AMD, but you need to buy a
    server grade CPU from intel to get an IOMMU, while some consumer grade
    mobos from AMD have this feature.

    I'm told Xen is the most efficient virtualization scheme, but also the
    hardest to implement.

    Regarding graphic frame rates, the GPU has the most influence. I use
    ATI cards mostly, which is also AMD. You may hate AMD, I like them.
    OK, I'm not particularly thrilled with the orange colored partitions
    they use (used?) at AMD HQ.

    miso, May 27, 2011
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Shaun Guest

    "mikea" wrote in message
    Stop GodsDamnit Morphing so I can killfile you properly!

    I am Shaun, I am NOT Skybuck. Get it straight!

    Shaun

    Shaun, May 28, 2011
  11. Skybuck Flying

    FatBytestard Guest

    Service items for folks that have "dedicated" ROM programmers, etc., and
    want to replace the MOBO and MIRROR the HD so, the OS will want to see
    the same hardware.

    Happens all the time.

    Replace what is broke with the exact same item, and keep rolling.

    Buy new, and there are program installs, license set-ups... all kinds
    of things to perhaps have concerns over.

    ebay has quite a few of my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe 939.

    http://tinyurl.com/3uogvpl

    They sell too. D'oh!

    FatBytestard, May 28, 2011
  12. Skybuck Flying

    FatBytestard Guest

    You're an idiot to allow such idiosyncratic horseshit influence your
    life so much.

    FatBytestard, May 28, 2011
  13. "
    Why would anyone sell a 939 mobo in 2011?
    "

    A few simple reasons come to mind:

    1. Many hot Socket 939 processors where sold and burned/killed motherboards.

    2. Perhaps most Socket 939 had bad capacitators.

    3. Perhaps many people in the world still have "ungrounded" power wall
    sockets which could lead to "motherboard shock death" when connecting other
    devices, thus needing new motherboards.

    "I'll go look to see if it is being sold,"

    All webstores in the Netherlands seem to have and sell them, so I would say
    they being sold like warm bread ;)

    (Added benefit 7-in-1 flash card reader device seems to work just nicely, so
    perhaps better support for 2006 technology and beyond, perhaps also better
    drivers/support for operating systems via driver cd).

    "but you have to wonder why bother. "

    To save a lot of money on other components like processor, heatsink, memory,
    power supply, pretty much everything.

    Also to have a somewhat older system to test backwards compatibility
    (Interesting for programmers I would think ;) perhaps other people too)

    "
    I built a quad core AMD for a server that still runs (used to
    be linux, but I had to put the win7 drives on it after the 939 mobo
    blew).
    "

    The mobo blew ?!? Well there ya go ?! How come ?! ;)

    "
    At some point, running old PCs gets silly if you use them a
    lot.
    "

    Socket 939 isn't that old, it's still pretty modern for desktop usage at
    least.

    "
    I'm going to attempt to set up the bulldozer with Xen virtualization.
    "

    I have no experience with xen virtualization.

    I would guess it's something like VMWare or virtual PC.

    Xen I think I have heard of it... perhaps it's for Linux which you
    mentioned.

    "
    Assuming the bulldozer has an IOMMU,
    "

    I don't know what this is... perhaps I will look it up ;)

    Probably has something to do with I/O acceleration for virtualization ?

    " I should be able to have full hardware control. "

    Sounds like direct hardware access for virtualized environments ;)

    Not really virtual is it then ?! ;) :)

    "
    You may bitch about AMD, but you need to buy a
    server grade CPU from intel to get an IOMMU, while some consumer grade
    mobos from AMD have this feature.
    "

    Hmmm could be interesting, perhaps I will look into it further ;)

    "
    I'm told Xen is the most efficient virtualization scheme, but also the
    hardest to implement.
    "

    Yeah why don't you simply stick with something easy like VMWare or VirtualPC
    or perhaps even "boot into vhd" a new windows 7 feature (still buggy perhaps
    but it's getting there !;)) (vhd=virtual harddisk)

    "
    Regarding graphic frame rates, the GPU has the most influence. I use
    ATI cards mostly, which is also AMD.
    "

    "You may hate AMD, I like them."

    Hmm... I just hated them a little bit because of no specifications for
    either chip or fan ! That sucks... their manual only explains how to install
    it and nothing more ! BAH ! And there website might suck as well... hard to
    find this information on it... especially on a somewhat older system ! ;)

    Their website search function is also not much help it seems.

    It finds weird/crappy documents/articles or something.

    Instead of nice PDF specs or something yeah.

    "
    OK, I'm not particularly thrilled with the orange colored partitions
    they use (used?) at AMD HQ."

    ??? "file system partitions" "building/room partitions" ?

    Who the fok gives a fok about their HQ ?!? LOL.

    You work there ?! LOL. Or in the neighbourhood ?! ;) :)

    Anyway show us a picture link... could be fun to look it ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, May 28, 2011
  14. Skybuck Flying

    miso Guest

    Have a nice day.

    miso, May 28, 2011
  15. Skybuck Flying

    miso Guest

    The IOMMU supposedly let you use the stock drivers from the
    manufacturer rather than the drivers VMWare supplies. Since I have no
    first hand experience with one yet, all I can say is what it
    supposedly does. Reality is always another story.

    VMWare can be really flaky with peripherals.

    miso, May 28, 2011
  16. You aren't, it's obvious now. Some of us olde farts on Usenet see morphs
    and sockpuppetry too early on. I thinks that somewhere the
    quote/attributions thing confused a few of us.

    I didn't chase your headers like I should have..
    Skyfart obviously can't post from "shawcable.net"

    Besides, I don't think he'd have the skills to either morph or sockpuppet.

    Nobody > (Revisited), May 31, 2011
  17. Skybuck Flying

    Foke Guest

    Your replies are just as obnoxious as Skybucks original posts. I have
    Skybuck kill-filtered... if you're going to continue to reply then have
    the courtesy to use a consistent nym so that I can filter *you* too.

    Shaun, Jun 2, 2011