    333MHz FSB Athlon XP processor."
    Any opinion on what PCB version mean? How can I learn my board's pcb
    version?

    P.I.T.A.S., May 13, 2004

  2. P.I.T.A.S.

    Cuzman Guest

    " Any opinion on what PCB version mean? How can I learn my board's pcb
    version? "

    PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board. Motherboard manufacturers might
    release a new product, and for one reason or another it just isn't cutting
    it in the market. It could be that it has fatal design flaws, or it could
    be that it doesn't support a certain CPU that has been released around the
    same time.

    The next chipset design may be some months away from being a finished
    product, so instead of missing out on a portion of the market they will
    update the specs of a previous motherboard and release a new version.

    Asustek obviously felt that the existing design of the A7V333 would be
    suitable to cover the market for 333FSB processors, so they released an
    updated version of it.

    If you look on the motherboard itself, you should find some indication of
    *A7V333* printed somewhere. However, I'm not sure what Asus printed on the
    different versions of these particular boards, so someone else will need to
    fill you in on that.

    Cuzman, May 13, 2004

  3. Normally, Asus prints the PCB revision level between two of the PCI
    slots. It's usually a decimal number something like "1.03" or such (on
    the P2B, they started with 1.00 and got up to 1.12, there were thirteen
    versions of that board apparently, although only about 5 of those show
    up in volume in the field).

    Barry Watzman, May 14, 2004
  4. P.I.T.A.S.

    P2B Guest

    I don't know about the A7V, but in the P2B series there were often two
    revision levels for a given board - the 'main' revision level printed
    between the PCI slots and formatted as 1.xx (sometimes with a trailing
    period which was significant), and the 'PCB' revision on a sticker
    somewhere and formatted as D0x. As an example, a P2B-DS with a main
    revision of 1.06 could have a PCB revision of D01, D02, or D03 - which
    is significant because only D03 has a 133Mhz-capable clock chip.

    Sorry to add to the confusion...

    P2B

    P2B, May 14, 2004
  5. P.I.T.A.S.

    Paul Guest

    Here is an example of a revision number. The revision number keeps
    track of the "copper pattern" used to make the board. Any time the
    conductors are changed, the revision number changes. A revision
    number can change artificially, as for example the last A7N8X of
    the 1.xx series is electrically similar to the 2.0 version, and
    2.0 stickers were placed on the last of the 1.xx boards.

    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/FAQ_Bilder_allgemein/faq077_rev_pic.jpg

    A second number used to track the boards, is the PCBA number. The
    letter A stands for Assembly, and at Asus, there will be a "shopping
    list" of the components used to fill the board, filed by PCBA number.
    From this, Asus can keep track of which stepping of chipset was used,
    what FSBs they supported and so on. PCBA changes more frequently than
    Revision number, as if there is a shortage and substitution of a
    component in the middle of manufacturing, the PCBA number has to be
    changed, to keep track of the change. If a field recall is needed for
    a product, the PCBA files determine what ranges of serial numbers would
    need to be pulled from the market etc.

    The PCBA is pictured here:
    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/FAQ_Bilder_allgemein/faq077_pcba_pic.jpg

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2004
  6. P.I.T.A.S.

    P.I.T.A.S. Guest

    Thanks a lot for your answers. I looked at my board and saw that it's rev
    1.01. So I think I need to get a new mainboard as well. Because my a7v333
    only allows 266mhz fsb. Feel sorry to notice it.

    P.I.T.A.S., May 14, 2004