    is nothing to boot. I want to install linux on it and i cant get it
    to boot anything from anywhere.

    any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

    Almerrah Fire, Apr 11, 2010

  2. Almerrah Fire

    RedDog Guest

    Will it boot to BIOS or test mode?
    Try a floppy or CD to boot with

    Borrow a spare Hard Drive, any drive, and swap it with the HD, just to check for
    activity

    RedDog, Apr 11, 2010

  3. Almerrah Fire

    StarDust Guest

    When it boots up, press the blue button above the keyboard and do
    diagnostics on the laptop.
    You may had an HD crash, lost the boot sector and can't find the
    operating system.
    Chkdsk /r -command can bring back your HD!
    JS

    StarDust, Jun 8, 2010
  4. or reseat the hard drive, depending on the model. They can be loose even
    if screwed in, just remove it and pop it back in and see what happens.

    Cydrome Leader, Jun 8, 2010
  5. Almerrah Fire

    clare Guest

    Put a boot(able) CD in the drive and see if it comes up. It it
    doesn't you have more than a HD problem. If it does the HD interface
    is OK and a new HD should fix it.

    clare, Jun 9, 2010
  6. Almerrah Fire

    MD34 Guest

    Yank the HD if it doesn't CD boot.
    I've seen several bad HDs sputter on the bus and cause a PC to hang

    MD34, Jun 9, 2010
  7. Almerrah Fire

    clare Guest

    True, that IS a possibility, even if it is not common.

    clare, Jun 9, 2010