I want to swap out my DVD drive

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alejo Vargas, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Alejo Vargas

    Alejo Vargas Guest

    I've had two external CD burners that both toook a crap before 200 discs
    had been burned, a Sony and a Buslink.

    So I opened up my G4-400 (AGP) and I cannot figure out how to get access
    to the screws on the left side (as you face the front of the computer),
    in order to remove the existing DVD drive and install the new drive.

    I took as much apart as I could, removed most of the exterior plastic,
    looked between the outer plastic case and the inner metal case and saw
    no way to get access to those screws.

    The new drive cost $35, I'll be damned if I'm paying someone $75 to put
    it in.

    Can anyone help?

    TIA.

    AV

    Alejo Vargas, Dec 9, 2003

  2. How much is your time worth and how much time do you expect to spend on
    the whole process?

    That's more a question for your own reflection when deciding you're not
    going to pay someone $X to do something, because changing the optical
    drive in a Sawtooth is trivial.

    You got the front bezel off, right? Drop the side panel and then there
    are 1 or two little tabs that release the plastic over the drive. Once
    you get that off, there are two screws exposed on the front face of the
    machine. Unscrew those. Now the whole drive assembly slides forward.
    Push it up enough to get to the cables, disconnect them, and slide the
    assembly out. Watch out for the shielding on the back of the optical
    drive; it tends to get caught on the case for me.

    You can work out the rest.

    Gregory Weston, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Alejo Vargas

    Alejo Vargas Guest

    How much is your time worth and how much time do you expect to spend on
    the whole process?[/QUOTE]

    It isn't a matter of what my time is worth, it's about being
    self-reliant. I rebuilt an aircraft engine, so this should not be such a
    big deal.
    Yep. But it appears as if there are a pair of screws into the bottom of
    the drive unit on each side. getting access to the ones just inside the
    side panel is a piece of cake but the ones closest to the cooling fan
    are inaccessible as far as I can see.

    Perhaps when you say the drive slides out, you also mean the rack that
    secures it. No?
    I'll give it a try again. Thanks for the tips. I'll report back, success
    or failure.
    I sure hope so.

    AV

    Alejo Vargas, Dec 9, 2003
  4. The entire aluminum box containing the bays for the optical drive and
    Zip (or other 3.5 inch drive) slides out.

    Neill Massello, Dec 9, 2003
  5.
    Daniel Packman, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Yep. But it appears as if there are a pair of screws into the bottom of
    the drive unit on each side. getting access to the ones just inside the
    side panel is a piece of cake but the ones closest to the cooling fan
    are inaccessible as far as I can see.

    Perhaps when you say the drive slides out, you also mean the rack that
    secures it. No?[/QUOTE]

    Yes. A big metal box that has the optical drive and, if you have one,
    Zip comes out as a unit.

    Gregory Weston, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Alejo Vargas

    Alejo Vargas Guest

    Alejo Vargas, Dec 9, 2003
  8. [....cd/dvd replacement...]
    Actually, civilians *and* active duty personnel can
    perform this installation with ease. :)

    Daniel Packman, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Alejo Vargas

    Alejo Vargas Guest