    HP - 20x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
    Model: dvd1040i

    Thanks Larry

    Larry, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    HP branded optical burners do not have a stellar reputation, same as Philips,
    who probably manufacture for HP, placing brand-name stickers on the devices.

    I'm partial to LiteOn and Sony... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 31, 2007

  3. good that you have come to the conclusion that an external dvdre drive on a
    usb 1.x controller would not work.
    no reason to pay more for the hp, stick with my previous sugestion.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 31, 2007
  4. Larry

    WaIIy Guest

    You might want to look at the LG drives. They seem to have a better
    reputation.

    WaIIy, Jan 1, 2008
  5. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    LG drives are often sold with the HGST initials, a joint-venture of Hitachi and
    Lucky Goldstar. Yes, they are pretty good, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 1, 2008
  6. Larry

    WaIIy Guest

    I have an HP 940i and I was getting a ton of crc errors and couldn't
    figure it out. It plays everthing just fine, but dvds were a problem.
    I just use it to Lightscribe now.

    I finally purchased an LG and all has been fine.

    CDFreaks seem to like the LG drives.

    WaIIy, Jan 1, 2008
  7. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Looking at the LG GSA-H55NI or the LI , any problems with these?

    Thanks Larry

    Larry, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Forgot to ask what brands of media work best with these ?
    Thanks Larry

    Larry, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Larry

    WaIIy Guest

    I have the H55L and love it. It burns my dvds flawlessly.

    For dvds I usually burn at 4 or 8x

    WaIIy, Jan 3, 2008
  10. Larry

    WaIIy Guest

    That would be Verbatim.

    WaIIy, Jan 3, 2008
  11. Larry

    Dean-MN Guest

    There are a lot of opinions about the "best" optical media. Here's a link
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm to some comprehensive information.
    Even within a brand, there are different qualities. There is a difference
    in players also. Many times a player will not read some lower class DVDs.
    I use Verbatim blanks and burn at 8x to satisfy my friends with $29
    players... Dean

    Dean-MN, Jan 3, 2008
  12. Larry

    Mariah Guest

    NEW MESSAGE
    They were both set to Cable Select

    Larry

    Mariah, Jan 4, 2008
  13. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    I burn whatever I can get cheaply, usually surplus or bulk, not bought at ripoff
    CompUSA prices. (I understand why CompUSA is going out of business.) No
    problems. NEC DVD writer, Sony CD writer. I don't burn audio though, and it
    demands a higher quality blank. Probably copying movies does too. Most of
    what I burn are CDs full of drivers and other software... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 4, 2008