I186 Accelerator from Orchid

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gregg dot drwho8 altsign gmail dot com, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. Hello!
    I have this I186 Accelerator originally from Orchid. They were a PC
    Peripheral builder during the time period that original IBM PC ran.
    Every time I ask Google about the thing it tells me it has no idea
    what I am searching for.

    Has anyone on this list ever encountered one before? Since it was
    supposed to have been able to do what these accelerator cards did,
    namely accept off-loaded information from the host and speed it up, I
    am presuming it had the intelligence to work as a full fledged PC just
    not one who wore a keyboard and monitor.

    What I would like to do is just that, and to that end I believe I
    would need to create an appropriate BIOS for it, the problem is that
    the only firm I knew about was AnnaBooks, and the last time I checked
    to see if they were still online, they were not.

    What I am leaning towards doing is to borrow someone's BIOS adapter
    kit and actually create my own BIOS for this purpose.

    Advise, comments even insults, please ladies and gentlemen.

    (Please contact me off list for purposes of sending the kit.)

    gregg dot drwho8 altsign gmail dot com, Jan 24, 2008

  2. What about diskless workstations, which can be built from readily
    available components, including a network BIOS?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Hello!
    I thought of that one earlier. Problem is that this hardware design
    revolves around the original ISA card layout, in this case the XT
    configuration.

    gregg dot drwho8 altsign gmail dot com, Jan 28, 2008