I2C Firmware Code for TI MSP430F2013

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by mInfo, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. mInfo

    mInfo Guest

    I'm currently searching the coder (firmware) who has experience
    with I2C bus. I am looking for firmware solutions for my prototype
    that will be used in manufacturing testing for I2C LED Modules. Each
    module contains six of TPIC2810 LED Driver chips with Address from
    1100000X to 1100101X. All of 8 outputs for each LED Driver are loaded
    with LED. I need to use LED Display Module for displaying the counters
    located at MSP430F2013 Microcontroller. Each LED Display Module has
    two push-buttons. Pressing on one of push-buttons will generate
    interrupt for MSP430F2013 Microcontroller. PCA9542A I2C switch with
    interrupt manager is used to detect the source of interruption. Each
    interruption from push-buttons will update the counter by increasing
    or decreasing the previous value depending on which push-button was
    pressed. I2C switch is used to manage multiple-module structure on I2C
    bus.

    The firmware code must be written for MSP430F2013 chip from Texas
    Instruments. MSP430F2013 chip is part of eZ430-F2013, a USB stick-
    based full emulation and development tool from Texas Instruments. I am
    going to supply with schematics, algorithms and block-diagrams.
    The resulting code must be written in C/C++ and assembler. The
    code must have commentary for each line of code. The code should be
    written to be used only with tools form Texas Instruments as a part of
    eZ430-F2013 KIT:
    1. IAR Embedded Workbench Kickstart 4.0 (Free 4KB IDE)
    2. TI Code Composer Essentials Evaluation v2.0 (Free 8KB IDE) FET
    3. TI Code Composer Essentials Professional v2.0 (Unlimited Code
    Space)

    Code examples: http://www-k.ext.ti.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?
    St=52,E=0000000000007406960,K=9621,Sxi=4,Case=obj(39245)

    mInfo, Jan 29, 2007

  2. mInfo

    larwe Guest

    Sounds like this is a school project. If it was a valid contract job,
    you would not have nonsensical requirements like the above.

    larwe, Jan 29, 2007

  3. mInfo

    mInfo Guest

    Did you say "nonsensical requirements like the above"? Have you ever
    paid attention when you were reading the text? It says absolutely
    clear "testing code" to test the prototype only. Yes, it has to be at
    'school project' level, simple code to test the hardware.

    mInfo, Jan 30, 2007
  4. mInfo

    larwe Guest

    Yes. And, like most other people in this NG, I have experience doing
    an awful lot of school projects. I also have experience doing an awful
    lot of customer projects for people who don't know what the buzzwords
    they are using actually mean.

    If you had written "adequately commented code developed with free
    tools" I would not have had a problem.

    I'd still bet money that this is a school project cut and pasted from
    your homework sheet, but I'll grant the outside possibility that it is
    a legitimate (though unpalatable) contract and you are simply
    regurgitating specification bullet points you don't really understand.

    larwe, Jan 30, 2007
  5. mInfo

    Elan Magavi Guest

    In 25 years I have never actually seen code with every line commented. Ever.

    Elan Magavi, Jan 30, 2007
  6. mInfo

    larwe Guest

    Me neither, though unfortunately I HAVE seen the opposite extreme more
    than once :) Even worse is code like this:

    write_i2c(0x68, 0xff); // write 0x27 to register 0x05 (turn off
    speaker)

    where the comment belongs to a source line that was cut and pasted for
    use elsewhere; the args were changed but the comment was never
    updated. I see a lot of this sort of thing.

    The OP's request would of course not present much of a problem; I can
    easily write a little program to add a comment to every single line in
    the source.

    Hmm. Does a macro count as code? Actually, what's a line? If I simply
    put a backslash at the end of every C line, does that mean I can use a
    single comment for the entire source file?

    larwe, Jan 30, 2007
  7. mInfo

    mInfo Guest

    "In 25 years I have never actually seen code with every line
    commented. Ever." Me neither in my 30 years of seeing the code. Are
    you guys just looking for the subject to discuss, have nothing else to
    do? You've gotten it!
    It is absolutely obvious for everyone that it was a typo in my
    message, that's all. The subject is closed now :) Who needs every line
    commented (or any extra information for that matter) anyway in our
    timeframe-limited life style? What's going to be next?

    mInfo, Jan 30, 2007
  8. mInfo

    Elan Magavi Guest

    that it was a typo in my
    Ok.. just be more careful in the future. ;)

    Elan Magavi, Jan 31, 2007