    info from any one with some hand on experience..

    Regards,
    Amir

    Amir, Feb 14, 2008

  2. You could also consider moving into the 21st century like the rest of us
    by selecting an MCU appropriate for the job.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 14, 2008

  3. Amir

    larwe Guest

    "I'm trying to extract information from a prisoner using the rack, but
    I'm having real trouble tying him onto it tightly enough. I checked
    the scrolls in the monastery, but didn't get any useful help. So I'm
    throwing it out to all my fellow executioners"

    "You should move into the 21st century and waterboard him".

    Translation: Yes, 8051 is old, but if it's what he's using...

    larwe, Feb 14, 2008
  4. True.
    He might even be using a AT89C51RE2 (new 128K Flash 89C51),
    from Umm/Err... who was that vendor again ?? :)

    He may have a PLCC44 socket he needs to upgrade, with a new chip.
    Care to suggest alternatives for that ?

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Feb 14, 2008
  5. Amir

    Neil Guest

    There are a lot of people who want to Bank with 8052's. I do not know why.
    I inherited on once, but it was with Keil.
    If you do not get an answer here, An I assume you Post at IAR and look
    for samples there, and in the sample folder that the compiler installed.
    try asking at www.8052.com ( they may also ask why?)

    Neil, Feb 14, 2008
  6. Amir

    GMM50 Guest

    IAR has(had) a banked switched memory model in the 1980's 1990's
    vintage C compilers. I made a lot of money fitting large programs
    into small address spaces. The compiler option I am familiar with was
    a -m (or perhaps -m0).

    The CPU's memory space needed one bank to alway be in place and not
    switchable and then another bank to be switchable.

    The compiler/linker sorted out all the bank switching parameters. If
    a call was made from a routine in one bank to a routine in another
    bank, the new bank number and routine address was passed to a bank
    switching routine in the common bank. All returns from routines also
    were done through this bank switching routine.

    The hardware needed a register to store the bank number and that
    register fed the memory decode logic in my designs.

    Hope this helps
    George

    GMM50, Feb 14, 2008
  7. Amir

    Amir Guest

    Thank you Larwe...I assume u picked the easiest answer...lol.
    But just to let u know that I am using a SOC which is pretty recent
    (2006) and it has an 8051 embedded.
    Brief: If you dont know the answer, or cannot provide any help, u dont
    have to write useless comments!

    Amir, Feb 14, 2008
  8. Amir

    Amir Guest

    Thank you for the useful information George. I appreciate it..I use a
    SOC (cc2430 ), and according to cc2430 datasheet, the banking has to
    be done in 4 banks as opposed to 2. I did setup the parameters as
    described by IAR compiler documents, but when I program the flash, the
    system doesnt seem to find the start up code, thus nothing happens.

    Regards,
    Amir

    Amir, Feb 14, 2008
  9. Amir

    Amir Guest

    FYI Neil..Many SOC vendors, use these microncontrollers as they are
    small, and well developped/fit for embedded designs using SOCs.

    Regards,
    Amir

    Amir, Feb 14, 2008
  10. Amir

    CBFalconer Guest

    And what else has multiple suppliers?

    CBFalconer, Feb 14, 2008
  11. Amir

    Joerg Guest

    So, then, which other architecture offers 2nd source? FYI your own
    employer does not seem to believe that the 8051 is obsolete:

    http://atmel.com/products/8051/default.asp

    Quote: "Atmel offers a broad range of microcontrollers based on the 8051
    architecture. ..."

    For example, I have used an Atmel 89C51 in a design in the early 90's
    and that is still in production. No end in sight so far. Because it works.

    Joerg, Feb 14, 2008
  12. Hi all,

    Maybe I should put the signature in BOLD letters...

    Ulf Samuelsson, Feb 14, 2008
  13. Amir

    Joerg Guest

    I know it's your personal opinion, just wanted to make a point about why
    the 8051 architecture is still widely used. And unless another
    2nd-sourceable series appears it will remain in use. That would be my
    personal opinion, and that of a whole lot of others.

    Joerg, Feb 14, 2008
  14. Amir

    donald Guest

    Hasn't the ARM7 been call the "8051" of the new millennium.

    Too bad the ARM7 is just the cpu and not the entire configuration i.e.
    peripherals.

    donald

    donald, Feb 14, 2008
  15. Amir

    larwe Guest

    The prices of both cores are asymptotically approaching zero, but they
    really don't 100% occupy the same application space.

    larwe, Feb 15, 2008
  16. The 128K in this thread is at the top-end of the 80C51 range,
    (ASIX make some larger, with Ethernet) but there is a LOT
    of R&D effort going into 80C51 in the far-east now :

    Companies like Winbond, Megawin, Myson, Micronas, Coreriver, STC,
    Syncmos, ABOV, (etc) are expanding their offerings.

    Devices like the new 12Vin/12V I/O Micronas easyLIN will generate
    a lot of traction.

    Many of these are one clock or turbo cores.

    The highest ADC performance devices use 80C51 cores, and
    dominate metering.

    The 80C51 will still be (easily) the worlds highest volume 8 bit uC core.

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Feb 15, 2008
  17. Amir

    Joerg Guest

    Yep, it sure will be. I even found one in our pellet stove.

    Joerg, Feb 15, 2008
  18. Amir

    Joerg Guest

    Only if 2nd sources are coming from companies like Winbond. Else, no.
    Just my humble thoughts.

    Joerg, Feb 15, 2008
  19. Amir

    Neil Guest

    I like the CPU Core. Banking is a way to force it to do more than it
    was designed to do. Banking adds Issues and slows the CPU down.
    That said it does work. I would guess that SOC use it since it is
    popular, Has good tools and has an lot of space to add control register.

    In the end it is the core you have. Go with it.

    Neil, Feb 15, 2008
  20. Amir

    David Brown Guest

    Here's a bit of unrelated free advice:

    When you join a newsgroup, remember that you are joining an established
    community. A lot of the people here have been around for years - if you
    don't understand the banter between old hands like Ulf and Lewin, don't
    comment on it, as it just makes you look silly. And learn to spell
    "you" - you'll be amazed at the increased level of respect you get.

    mvh.,

    David

    David Brown, Feb 15, 2008