    (nearly 50 % more) ?? Any cheap places to buy within Europe or should I
    consider importing myself ??

    Thanks,

    Mouse, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Mouse

    Adam Guest

    This rule- dramatic price difference, does not only apply to laptops,
    but to other electronics as well. Compare prices of cameras,
    computers, even bicycles. This is due to different customs
    regulations, taxation and politics of each country. UK is expensive,
    when it comes to nearly everything- see cars! I observed the same
    thing, when I was purchasing laptops. Poland, where I live, is also on
    the expensive side- although prices seem to go down. From what I know,
    Germany is cheaper than the rest of Europe. However, USA still offers
    the best value.
    Adam, Poland

    Adam, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Mouse

    RTiu Guest

    During my visit back visiting my folks, I also observe that notebooks in
    Europe, Germany are more expensive, especially when buying high-models, e.g.
    Toshiba Tecra and Thinkpads.

    I have to assume this maybe due to the way it is being distributed and sold,
    but also who the buyers are.

    Generally speaking in Europe, it seems like the high-end stuff is being
    bought by corporate customers, perhaps getting substantial discounts thru
    their purchasing department or centralized procurement department. There
    seems to be a clear distinction between "consumer" and "business" notebooks,
    the later..at a substantial premium.

    I think that buying a high end notebook or a premium modell in the US is
    much more accessible, and more "common" regardless who the consumer is.

    Also, very important to note. Because the EU is such a fragmented market,
    and essentially each country is being supported "individually" and
    configured accordingly, e.g. documentation, language support on manuals,
    website, drivers, keyboard layouts, local sales and support offices, etc.,
    the efficiency scale quickly vanish. I do not think any of the European
    country can match the "volume" the US has, and one single customer base,
    e.g. US keyboard, english manuals, us drivers, etc.

    This maybe the reason after, why notebooks, like a Thinkpad is so much more
    expensive. I can imagine, a UK notebook is customized for the UK market, and
    sold only in the UK and Ireland, and the pool of customers is limited in
    essence, as a UK notebook would most likely not fit in the German market for
    example, and vice versa.

    If you import one, do remember, the keyboard is labled with US keys.

    Just my thoughts on this subject,

    Cheers,
    Ronald

    RTiu, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Mouse

    Zafar Kazmi Guest

    Tell me something that is cheaper in Europe!

    1. Smaller markets have their premium
    2. Cost of doing business is higher
    3. Distribution is probably less efficient

    Hence the EU. Hopefully doing business in EU will become easier and
    more efficient in future.

    Zafar

    Zafar Kazmi, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Zafar Kazmi wrote:

    LOL!

    (sorry)

    George

    George Thompson, Dec 10, 2003
  6. My experience over the years has been that electronic/tech items are
    usually more expensive in Europe.. One reason is the VAT, which is
    often 17% or above, depending on the country. Another is the
    dollar/local currency relationship. A third is that competition tends
    to be less intense in some counties than in the U.S. For a while,
    when the dollar was high compared to the euro I found some things were
    actually cheaper in Europe--but those days seem over for a while.

    However, computers seem different, and I can't tell you why. I'll be
    buying a computer in Spain pretty soon and, like you, find that the
    price in both Spain and the U.S. tends to be almost the same. Be sure
    to check any conditions related to the warranty if you buy in on
    country to keep in another.

    Rita

    Rita Goldberg, Dec 10, 2003
  7. It can also be due to manufacturer's policy. There was the recent case
    of a maker of jeans that prevented a UK supermarket from importing the
    jeans, paying all the relevent costs and still selling them at a lower
    price.

    Not to mention that DVDs are doctored to prevent them playing in some
    countries.

    Salvador Freemanson, Dec 12, 2003