IBM R50 or ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by deaconblues, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. deaconblues

    deaconblues Guest

    I'm about to purchase my first laptop for use by myself and my family
    and I'm leaning toward a IBM R50. The computer will be mainly used
    around the house (I plan to set up a WiFi network) with occasional
    travel use. The R50 would be spec'd as follows:
    1.6 GHz Pentium M
    512 MB RAM
    32 MB ATI Mobility Radeon
    15" SVGA+ Flexview display at 1400 x 1050
    Integrated 802.11 a/b/g and Bluetooth

    My other choices would be Dell or Gateway. I'm leaning toward IBM for
    a few reasons; durability reputation, keyboard reputation (pretty
    important), plus reading some good things about the Flexview display.
    Any purely silly reason is that I prefer the IBM "industrial" look
    rather than anything gaudy. I wish the video card was a little more
    robust but there's not much of a choice until you get to the mega
    expensive 50p.

    Any ideas or input? TIA

    deaconblues, Dec 22, 2003

  2. deaconblues

    Silo Guest

    I bought and returned an R50. The machines are not well made compared to
    older IBM laptops. Buy a T23 or T22 from eBay or Overstock.com and save
    yourself a heap of change. You'll get a better machine, too.

    Silo, Dec 22, 2003

  3. deaconblues

    deaconblues Guest

    Silo - thanks for the input. I was wanting a few features (USB 2.0,
    perhaps Firewire) that the older models wouldn't offer.

    A couple of more questions:

    Do you think the newest IBM's would still be made better than the
    newest Gateways or Dells? I have a Dell home system which I'm pleased
    with, but am somewhat leery of what I've been hearing about their
    outsourced overseas support.

    Last question: what do you think of the T41 vs. the R50?

    Thanks.

    deaconblues, Dec 22, 2003
  4. deaconblues

    David Lee Guest

    I hate to tell you but IBM support is overseas as well. I think most
    of the major PC vendors have outsourced their technical support to
    India.

    I know the new Thinkpads are made by a third party company in China.
    My old Thinkpad 600X was actually made by IBM, now my new T40 is made
    in China by some unknown third party company and the difference in
    quality is obvious.

    David Lee, Dec 23, 2003
  5. deaconblues

    Lucar Guest

    According to PC World, IBM used to maintain multiple call center locations,
    but earliet this year, it consolidated notebook and desktop reps in one
    center in Atlanta to handle support for all of its US products.

    Lucar, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Can you be more specific about the alleged "obvious quality problems" you see
    with the R50.

    Italy Anonymous Remailer, Dec 23, 2003