IBM R50

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by JB, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    What a pest....

    Nice new R50. Working fine 3 days ago at work. Plugged it in at home, and
    eventually noticed that it was running on the battery, not mains. Lots of
    mucky around, eventually came to the conclusion that the AC adaptor was the
    problem. IBM shipped a new one out. Plugged new one in, and system looked
    ok. Indicating that it is running on mains.

    Eventually, though, it become apparent that not all is well. Whilst it is
    running of the AC, the battery charging rate is extremely slow. Roughly 24
    hours to go from 50% to 95%. System beeps and switches from battery to mains
    if you plug the adaptor in whilst it is running, but it seems unable to
    switch the other way. Shut the system down, and pull out the mains cord, and
    it still indicates that it is charging. To get back to battery ops, you have
    to shut it down, remove the battery, and then put it back and start up
    again.

    Currently a new battery on the way, but I'm rather suspicious that the
    problem is more than just that...

    Looks like its a good thing that it has a 3 year warranty.

    JB, Jun 18, 2004

  2. JB

    Dan Koren Guest

    By the time the warranty runs out, IBM
    will have fixed all but one problem!

    ;-)

    dk

    Dan Koren, Jun 18, 2004

  3. JB

    Charlie Guest

    You've exactly described the symptoms that I experienced with my A30.
    It gradually got worse (it was already out of the 1 year warranty when
    the problem started) and now it will ONLY run on battery, and will not
    recharge an installed battery at all. Local repair shops have quoted
    prices of $400 & possibly more.... component repair on main board is
    needed..... so I'm using it "strictly" as a portable with an external
    charger. (ie, charge the battery external to the computer)

    BTW, I've found that if I leave the battery installed, even with the
    computer shut down, it is fairly rapidly discharged..... you might
    want to look at that on your R50.

    I'd say get IBM to repair it well before your warranty expires.

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie, Jun 18, 2004