    I picked up a used IBM R51 Thinkpad in May. It was working fine for months. Now suddenly, the wireless can't find the "network address." It searches, links on for a half a second, then kicks itself out and starts searching again.

    I've replace the drivers twice. I even went so far as to get another wireless card (a USB one that plugs in) and IT can't find the network addresses either!

    I'm lost, anybody here have ANY ideas what's happening or how to fix it?

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 7, 2013

  2. Ed Rhodes

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Be sure that the wireless access point fully supports whatever protocol the
    R51 has (probably 'g' but maybe just 'b'). Some more modern APs only really
    worry about 'n' perfrmance and the older protocols don't come off so well.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2013

  3. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    OK, I'm not certain how to do that and that doesn't explain why it was working for five months before crapping out. But thanks.

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 7, 2013
  4. Ed Rhodes

    ~misfit~ Guest

    So you didn't replace your access-pont / modem then?

    If not then my next suggestion would be to remove and re-seat the WiFi
    min-PCI card as, over time the contacts can deteriorate a little, requiring
    a simple removal - replacement.

    Best of luck. Even though I've been using my T60 for three years now I still
    have my really nice R51 that I used previously. Perhaps stupidly I think
    it's so good that it's worth far more than what I could get for it. Then
    again I 'souped it up' a bit, fitting a 2GHz CPU, maxxing the RAM out to 2GB
    and fitting a 320GB HDD. It was already one of the top-end R51s with an SXGA
    [1400 x 1050 pixels] 'FlexView' IPS screen - an awesome machine for a ~2005
    single core laptop.

    ~misfit~, Nov 9, 2013
  5. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    Well, you're talking to a major noob here so, even though I in fact took out ALL the screws (and there are a LOT of them) and got the computer open, Ididn't see anything that said; "I am the wireless card, you want to reseatme." at all. Actually, many MANY years ago, we got a computer from Rent-a-Center and it didn't work right away. I lifted up the big box covering and gently pressed down on each of the cards until one of them slid down into its slot. But with this thing, it isn't really clear what I need to do once I get it open. AND getting it back together again was a little dodgy as thekeyboard has TWO plugs that have to be attached to the lower section before you can close it back up. The first one was near the back and pretty muchwent right in but the second was a lot closer to the front of the keyboardand it was tricky getting it seated in place with the two pieces so close to each other.
    Well, I picked mine up at Goodwill for about $175. I took it to Disney World where it worked fine, then crapped out on the trip back. The messenger bag I'd carried it in smelled like cat and one of the little buggers must've urinated on it. As this was within a couple of weeks of buying it, Goodwillwas able to make repairs for only the $40 labor charge. It's a good littlework horse when it works!

    Thanks for your help.

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 9, 2013
  6. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    The wife got a new router from Verizon, but she'd tied my computer into it and it was working for a couple of weeks for crapping out.

    I haven't done ANYTHING within the bowels of the Thinkpad itself. I wouldn't even begin to know how.

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 9, 2013
  7. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    I'm not completly certain what this is saying. By "wireless access point" do you mean the router? Because we did get a new one, but it had been agreeing with the Thinkpad just fine for a couple of weeks.

    What does "probably 'g' but maybe just 'b'" mean? Where would I check that?

    .... and what does 'n' performance mean?

    You can see how easily I get lost here.

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 9, 2013
  8. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    One last point just dawned on me. I tried to plug in a USB Wireless card. Got it loaded and the same thing happens. It can't seem to find the IP addresses!

    Ed Rhodes, Nov 9, 2013
  9. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    Welp, finally got it to Goodwill (which is where I bought it from) and the guy there tells me it looks like viruses. He may have to wipe the hard drive. Hopefully he can back up my files first. (Yes, I should have. I don't have a stick currently and put off buying one until it was too late.)

    Ed Rhodes, Jan 8, 2014
  10. Ed Rhodes

    Ed Rhodes Guest

    Got it back. Most of the files were there. Those that weren't I can live without.

    Then the hard drive died *sigh*

    Called Goodwill one more time and said, I'm done. I'll give it back to you,you can do what you want with it but I can't put any more money into this thing.

    They said they'd look at it, if they couldn't fix it, they'd replace it.

    Ed Rhodes, Jan 20, 2014
  11. Ed Rhodes

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for the follow-up posts Ed. It's interesting to hear what the cause
    was in cases like this.

    So it got a Disney Virus huh? ;)

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2014