IBM T20 Brain Surgery - PIII 650 > PIII 850

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by * * Chas, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. * * Chas

    * * Chas Guest

    I just swapped out the PIII 650 in my T20 for a PIII 850 CPU. I replaced
    the main board last month so changing the fan & CPU was a piece of cake.

    This is a low mileage TP and it was running great after the new
    mainboard and BIOS update. I installed WinXP for better WiFi and set it
    to dual boot with Win98SE. I also increased the memory from 256 to 512MB
    for XP.

    I'm a little disappointed at the performance difference between the 650
    and 850 CPUs. Over the years I've upgraded the CPUs in a number of
    desktops from 500 to 750 and eventually 100MHz. I was expecting to see a
    bigger boost in performance.

    Last year I installed a Hitachi 60g 7200 RPM HDD that was a major
    performance improvement. The additional 256MB of memory helped load
    programs a little faster with the original PIII 650.

    The 850 CPU boots about 5 seconds faster in both 98 and XP. The 7200 RPM
    HDD cut boot time in half with Win98SE and the old 650 CPU versus the
    original 4200 RPM HDD.

    I picked a PIII 850 instead of a faster 900 or 1000 MHz CPUs because the
    faster PIIIs use 1.7/1.35V whereas the 850 and lower Mobile PIIIs run at
    1.6/1.35V which the mainboard was designed to handle. Also, I used one
    of the older 04P3295 heatsink/fans that came with the 850 T22s.

    The newer, high capacity fans for the PIII 900 and 1000 CPUs sell for
    $45-$75 on the web. I bought the CPU and fan for about $12 each plus
    shipping. I didn't want to spend too much money on a TP only worth about
    $3-400 and wont be used very much.

    I ran MobileMeter in XP with the PIII 650 and 850 CPUs at 20°C (68°F).

    PIII 650
    Idle 34°C
    Running SpyBot 74°C (fan did not run)

    PIII 850
    Idle 46°C
    Running SpyBot 77°C (fan started at 73° and stopped at about 47°)

    Note: Fan ran a lot more in Win98SE that XP with both CPUs but I didn't
    have a way to measure the temperature in 98. I'd recommend anyone with a
    T20 or T21 to install one of these 04P3295 heatsink/fans. they run a lot
    less than the older fans.

[...]

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Jul 10, 2005