    Does anyone know where I can find instructions for how to replace it before
    I try to open up my T20?

    Thanks

    Bill Carr, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Bill Carr

    Dodgy Guest

    I replaced one on an A30, it's quite a simple procedure, but I'll give
    you a hint, if the layout is anything like my A30, the inverter is at
    the bottom of the screen half of the case, not in the main part with
    the keyboard and cpu.

    Dodgy.

    Dodgy, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Bill Carr

    JHEM Guest

    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/62p9631.pdf

    JHEM, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Bill Carr

    John Navas Guest

    Check the Hardware Maintenance Manual, which can be downloaded from
    Lenovo.

    John Navas, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Bill Carr

    Bill Carr Guest

    Thanks John. I'll search for it on Lenovo's website.

    Bill Carr, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Bill Carr

    Bill Carr Guest

    Many thanks James

    Bill Carr, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Bill Carr

    John Navas Guest

    John Navas, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Do I vaguely recall that the HMM dictates major disassembly of the T20,
    whereas in reality it is possible to just take apart the lid and pop out the
    inverter?

    Or am I completely off the mark here?

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Bill Carr

    Bill Carr Guest

    I sure HOPE that a major disassembly of the T20 is not required, but at
    first glance, it looks like one has to take the entire LCD panel off (which
    requires removing the keyboard and surrounding keyboard bezel) to get proper
    access to the LCD inverter.

    Please tell me I'm wrong!

    Bill Carr, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Bill Carr

    JHEM Guest

    You're wrong. But it's not your fault.

    Open the display completely until it lies flat, remove the LCD bezel, the
    inverter is at the bottom of the display housing.

    No further disassembly required.

    JHEM, Aug 3, 2006
  11. Bill Carr

    Bill Carr Guest

    Thanks, I did the replacement as you suggested. It went fine.

    Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem (my LCD panel for months has been
    intermittent in terms of displaying ANYTHING unless I "wiggled" the panel
    back and forth on its hinge). It has ALWAYS worked fine with an external
    monitor, so something is wrong in the connection to the LCD panel. When the
    LCD screen DID display, it was fine. It just wouldn't display ANYTHING
    sometimes.

    IBM/Lenovo tech support told me the problem was "obviously" the LCD inverter
    card so that's the part I bought and replaced, but even after replacing the
    LCD inverter card, I STILL have the same problem.

    In looking at the T20 Hardware Maintenance Manual, I now think it's the LCD
    Cable Assembly (FRU 27L0519) that really is the problem as it seems to be
    more involved in the "hinging" action" of the LCD.

    Any ideas?

    TIA...

    Bill Carr, Aug 3, 2006
  12. Any ideas on this? Does anyone think it's worth it for Bill to replace the
    IBM Cable Assembly? I've got a similar problem.

    I've also replaced my LCD Inverter Card and it hasn't fixed a similar
    problem.

    ThinkPad Geek, Aug 9, 2006
  13. Bill Carr

    Dodgy Guest

    I'll vote for the cable.

    Had one go myself, and I too thought it was the inverter.

    Should have known it was a mechanical failure, they're always the most
    likely.

    Dodgy.

    Dodgy, Aug 10, 2006
  14. What do you mean by a mechanical failure? What did you end up replacing
    that fixed your problem? Thanks!

    ThinkPad Geek, Aug 10, 2006