IBM T23 battery not working, everything else normal, indicator flashing orange

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Valmi Dufour, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Valmi Dufour

    Valmi Dufour Guest

    Hello -- I hoped somebody could help me diagnosing this problem...

    My T-23 (2647-4MU) Li-Ion battery seems to have suddenly gone out of
    service.

    I temporarily unplugged the (turned on but not in use) laptop from the
    power outlet. When I tried to use it after two hours, I found that it
    had shut down instead of going in hibernation.

    When I restarted it, everything worked normally except for the battery
    gauge, which is now grey and shows no information.

    Battery Information tells me "Remaning Percentage - Battery 1: ERROR".
    No other information. The battery status indicator is continually
    flashing orange.

    Whenever I pull the plug, the laptop shuts down exactly like a desktop
    computer would. Using a battery does resolve the problem.

    The battery is not very new, from memory it had a lots of cycles
    (something with 3 digits) and had a capacity of between 1/2 and 2/3 its
    original capacity.

    I would be thankful for any hint, specially if it does not involve
    servicing or replacing the battery! :)

    Thank you!

    Valmi Dufour, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Valmi Dufour

    Valmi Dufour Guest

    I shouldn't have wrriten:
    Obviously I meant using a different battery -- from my girlfriend's
    T-20 in that very case.

    Apologies

    Valmi Dufour, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Valmi Dufour

    Ed Guest

    Whenever I pull the plug, the laptop shuts down exactly like a desktop

    Does YOUR battery work in your girlfriend's computer? If so, you
    certainly have a hardware problem.... probably nothing you can service,
    unless there is a fuse in the battery circuit on the motherboard that is
    user replaceble.

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Valmi Dufour

    Valmi Dufour Guest

    It doesn't, MY battery seems to be totally dead, it works neither in my
    nor in my girlfriend's computer. Anything I could fix myself?

    Valmi Dufour, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Valmi Dufour

    Ed Guest

    Probably not.

    Ed, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Valmi Dufour

    cmdrdata Guest

    If you have a voltmeter, you'll probably measure o volts (VDC) at the
    primary + and - terminals of the battery pack, thus the flashing
    yellow/amber light in your laptop. Time to get a new battery pack. I've
    tried rebuilding one, but there is an EEPROM inside the controller
    circuitry of the pack that prevents the new batteries from being
    recognized. As I have no way of re-programming that EEPROM I abandoned
    the rebuilding effort. I paid 7-8 dollars a piece for the cells (need
    six), and later on I found out I could've bought a non-OEM batt pack on
    eBay for 40.00 + s/h.

    cmdrdata, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Valmi Dufour

    Valmi Dufour Guest

    OK, so I guess I'll just replace it with one of those eBay batteries...
    As a matter of fact I found one that sells for 1 euro today + 55 euro
    shipping from China. Dubious. Are those batteries the same thing as the
    original, or they will blow in my face after three weeks of use?

    By the way, I'm trying to understand what happened to my toasted
    battery, any lead? Or maybe it's just normal tear--that's my first
    laptop in fact, and I thought perhapd too romantically that the battery
    would last forever until it got such a small capacity that it would be
    unable to light up the power-on led.

    Valmi Dufour, Jan 24, 2006
  8. Valmi Dufour

    Ed Guest

    One usually notices a battery losing its capacity over a couple years
    by the computer lasting shorter and shorter, but sometimes a battery can
    fail all at once.... expecially these modern Lithium Ion batteris with
    built in circuitry. In any case, they won't last more than three or four
    years, probably.

    One thing I would recommend you do before ordering a new battery is to
    make sure you laptop is charging the battery. Try your girlfriend's
    battery again and make sure your laptop will charge it. It is possible
    that your laptop is somehow failing to charge the battery which might
    explain why your original battery died. If it is not charging batteries,
    there is no sense getting a new one until that problem is fixed.

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 25, 2006