IBM T30 2366-96U System Board and CPU Questions

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by dwn, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Thinkpad T30, Type 2366-96U FRU 91P7212. CPU Intel Socket 478, SL6FK, 2GHz,
    OS WinXP. With security chip.

    My T30 died and not sure if the SB memory slots cracks or the CPU overheat.
    When I examine the fan, the copper plate indicate two excessive burnt
    areas at the edges between the fan. I am now waiting for a used upgrade
    CPU 2.4GHz SL6VC and will decide, whether I need to replace a new SB
    listed (1) or (2) below (recondition IBM in unopened box).

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=PD005064

    Existing System board assembly 2 for Pentium 4 with security chip, items 19 (last column)
    - FRU 91P798 replaces 91P7212 and 26P8423. (NOTE: 91P798)

    (1) New - System Board T30 Type -2366 -unknown- FRU 91P789 (NOTE: 91P789).
    Without security chip.

    or

    (2) New - System Board T30 Type FRU 2366 -unknown- FRU -unknown-
    With security chip.

    Existing CPU assembly, Pentium 4 (2GHz, Intel P/N SL6FK), item 20 (4th column).
    FRU 26P8432

    New CPU assembly, Pentium 4 (2.4GHz, Intel P/N SL6VC) item 20 (last column)
    FRU 2366-JBx, M7x FRU 91P7210

    Any suggestion or your experienced will be most welcome. If you are not clear
    please ask for addition information. Trying to keep it simple and readable.

    Thanks

    dwn, Nov 18, 2011

  2. dwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sorry, I can't help you. I decided very early on that the P4 was a dog and
    so didn't buy anything equipped with it, prefering to stay with the PIII-M
    until the Intel Isreal team developed it into the Pentium M (which went on
    to become the 'ancestor' of the 'Core' CPUs and now i7, proving that I was
    right to leave the P4 alone).

    I suggest that you peruse this site: http://forum.thinkpads.com/ They've
    helped me a lot in the past. The answers for questions about older ThinkPads
    are usually already there, you just have to search.

    http://www.google.com/advanced_sear...en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&safe=off&as_qdr=all

    Try using that link to search the site if going to the relevant forum
    doesn't help.

    Best of luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2011

  3. dwn

    dwn Guest

    While waiting, I went to thinkpads posted the questions and within an hour I got a replied.
    I was advised not to upgrade to 2.4GHz. I don't understand why RealBlackStuff said the two
    mobo FRU 91P7698 and FRU 91P7689 does not exist. They are available in Ebay and elsewhere.
    I am still waiting for more detail whether to go ahead and buy one.

    One thing, I don't like forum as I still have a hard time navigate around in any forums. This NG
    is almost dead as posters are migrate to forum. I also tried using their search and yours above.
    Nothing turn out what I am looking for.

    Here is my posting

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100588&p=655846#p655846

    Thanks and I appreciate it.

    dwn, Nov 19, 2011
  4. dwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi again. All I can say is that Dominic (RealBlackStuff) probably knows more
    about these older ThinkPads than almost anyone on Earth. Ebay is known for
    the lack of accuracy of listings and IBM P/Ns / FRU numbers.

    I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. Most of what I know about TPs I
    learned from that forum (and hands-on work).

    Best of luck,

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2011
  5. dwn

    dwn Guest

    I did went the site you suggested. Dominic (RealBlackStuff) replied and followed by two more poster's suggestion.
    Not much help. While waiting forr more help. I kept on switching the Thinkpad. whenever I feel like it.
    Finally it did boot up with IBM ver. 7.5 Recovery CD. It was very old stuff, need to install SP 1a or XP2
    before I could installed XP3.

    While downloading, I tried to create folders for the XP3 and XP2. I discovered many of the keys not functioning.
    I need to replace the keyboard. I use one bank of memory, BIO correctly registered, however it say 1.9GHz
    and I remember the CPU is 2.0GHz. Something wrong or do you think there are other problems beside
    the keyboard?

    I have onlyy reboot twice and not sure if it will reboot again. I am now downloading SP2 (have download SP3 earlier)

    dwn, Dec 1, 2011