IBM T30, T30 or R50e

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by BobH, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. BobH

    BobH Guest

    My four year old T20 is getting "tired". It occasinally just dies or
    freezez. Not a lot, but enough to tick me off. I've decided to retire
    it and get a new machine.

    Ubid has factory refurbished Thinkpads. The T30 is going for about
    $550 and is a bit faster than the T40 which goes for $677. See
    http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10538917&refLoc=searchall

    for the T30 listing and
    http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10538889&refLoc=searchall

    for the T40 listing.

    But, Lenovo is having a special of the R50e for $799 which seems like a
    good deal.

    I've loved my T20 but have been out of the loop on the Thinkpad line
    for a while. Are there significant differences between the T30, T40
    and R50e?

    Any advice?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    BobH, Nov 17, 2005

  2. BobH

    GomJabbar Guest

    While there are several differences between the above models, the main
    difference is that the T30 uses the Mobil Pentium 4, so it is a hotter
    laptop and battery life will be reduced. The T40 uses the Pentium M
    which has power saving technology but is still fast like the Pentium 4.
    Both the T30 and T40 are smaller, lighter and more travel friendly
    than the R50e. If you don't need to carry your laptop around much, the
    R50e would give the most bang for the buck (it's not as sexy though).
    You might find the following link useful for general information on
    ThinkPads.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinkpad

    GomJabbar, Nov 17, 2005

  3. BobH

    Gary L. Guest

    The T40 is faster. The Pentium M processor in the T40 is superior in
    almost every way to the Pentium 4 in the T30. It is faster even though
    it has a slower clock speed due to greater efficiency in the design.
    The T40 is a newer design than the T30 and it will have other
    advantages. IMHO, it is worth the higher price.
    The T series is generally a lighter weight and higher performance
    computer as compared to the R series. In general, a T series is a
    better system than an R series but it is also a more expensive system.

    However, you are comparing used computers to a new computer with a
    manufacturer's warranty. Used laptops may have been subject to a lot
    of wear and tear from drops, bumps, and similar harm from traveling.
    This can greatly shorten the lifespan of a computer. You will need to
    consider this in comparing products. I have no experience with "ubid"
    and I have no idea what the condition of the used systems may be. The
    condition of the systems and ubid's warranty in case of a problem must
    also be figured into your decision. Lenovo (or perhaps IBM) also sells
    used "refurbished" systems directly to end-users, so you can compare
    their price and service to "ubid."

    Gary L., Nov 17, 2005
  4. BobH

    BobH Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I think the T40 is the best option.

    My understanding if the refurbished is not that they are used, but
    rather they were returned for some reason and are essentially new and
    totally checked out. I've bought refurbished before (just got a great
    Sony monitor that you'd swear was new) and been very satisfied.

    BobH

    BobH, Nov 18, 2005
  5. BobH

    Gary L. Guest

    I would not make that assumption. I've bought two "factory
    refurbished" ThinkPads direct from IBM (a 600 nearly four years ago
    and a T21 about a year and a half ago.). They were used units that
    were repaired by IBM ands then resold. They were both in pretty good
    shape, but they were definitely used. I did have to buy new batteries
    for the systems within a couple of months because the used batteries
    gave me shorter run time than new batteries (and IBM would not replace
    the batteries).

    The 600 looked almost like new when I got it and it still works well,
    except for a couple of dead pixels on the LCD. The T21 looked sort of
    beat-up when I got it although it worked properly. IBM sent me a new
    keyboard to replace the worn original, but that's all that they would
    do under the warranty. The display malfunctioned after about a year. I
    expect it would have lasted longer if the unit was brand new.

    So be forewarned that "refurbished" may mean "used" in this context,
    especially if they are "factory refurbished" from IBM.

    Gary L., Nov 19, 2005
  6. IBM refurbs have a very limited warranty. Find a used unit with a
    good warranty

    Bruce Markowitz, Nov 23, 2005