    There was no warning that this failure was coming on.. Before today the
    back lighting was fine.

    Steve

    Steve Stone, Nov 26, 2009

  2. Steve Stone

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: T40 backlighting on the blink...

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Steve Stone wrote:
    > Went to power up my T40 this evening.
    >
    > It only lights up for a second, enough time to see the full screen IBM
    > Thinkpad logo on the LCD, and then goes dark.
    > After that if I get the room lighting just right I can dimly see text
    > on the screen but it is like being in a coal mine without a light.
    >
    > I tried reseating the cable from the LCD to the motherboard but no
    > change. Could this be an inverter card failure?
    >
    > There was no warning that this failure was coming on.. Before today
    > the back lighting was fine.

    Hi Steve. It'll either be the inverter or the CCFL (backlight) itself.
    Depending on the price of a replacement inverter you could buy one first and
    try that. Depending on the spec of your T40 and any attachment you may have
    to it, it may or may not be worth getting the CCFL replaced either
    professionally or, if you're very handy, having a stab at it yourself.
    (Google CCFL replacement.) If your display is a 'FlexView' it would be worth
    replacing the backlight IMO (if that's the problem) as they're superior
    displays. I'd hate to have to go back to a TN (standard) LCD myself,
    FlexView's rock!

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.