IBM T40 freezes (XP, Crucial memory)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by N. Emo, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. N. Emo

    N. Emo Guest

    Dear all.

    A few months ago I purchased an IBM Thinkpad T40 with 256MB RAM
    (237372U), and at the same time a Crucial 512MB SODIMM module
    recommended by the Crucial web site which I installed in the memory
    slot on the underside of the machine.

    Ever since the beginning, the computer has "frozen" approximately once
    a day the days I have used it. By "frozen" I mean that the operating
    system, Windows XP, has become completely unresponsive - it is not
    possible to move the mouse cursor or even toggle caps/num lock LEDs.
    The only thing it responds to is pressing the power button for 10
    seconds. I have of course installed the latest BIOS software, drivers,
    and operating system updates.

    When I removed the Crucial memory module for two weeks, I didn't
    experience a single freeze. This suggests that there is either a
    problem with additional memory in general (either a hardware problem
    or an OS problem), or a problem with the Crucial module.
    Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to try with a non-Crucial
    memory module without buying it. Crucial suggests that I set the
    virtual memory settings to twice the installed memory, which I did
    without effect, and run a memory test program, which did not report
    any errors. Beyond that, they have not been very helpful.

    I have read the other posts in this group regarding BSODs on T40 with
    Crucial memory, but my problem (freezing) does not seem to me like a
    symptom of malfunctioning memory. But I am not an expert.

    (Only once or twice have I also had spontaneous reboots, but this may
    be completely unrelated and so seldom that I will not put any weight
    on it).

    I would really appreciate any suggestion of what the problem could be.

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Emo

    N. Emo, Oct 21, 2003

  2. N. Emo

    Raja Guest

    Hi
    I have the exact same model with the Crucial Chip(256MB bundled +
    512MB Crucial). I have experienced a freeze for maybe 3 or 4 seconds.
    This happens when im typing something and nothing appears on the
    screen for 3 or 4 secs and then they all show up. I have seen similar
    issues posted by some other users but my BIOS is at the latest already
    and i get this issue maybe once every 2 or 3 days.
    I use this laptop almost 10hrs a day and i use it for programming so
    it does run under a load, if not a lot.
    Do you get this issue under any specific circumstance, like running a
    particular program or is it just random?

    -Raj

    Raja, Oct 22, 2003

  3. N. Emo

    Daniel Guest

    Hi!

    Have you tried updating the ultranav driver?

    // Daniel

    Daniel, Oct 22, 2003
  4. N. Emo

    N. Emo Guest

    No, I have been unable to relate the issue to any specific
    circumstance or program. In the beginning I suspected Ultranav, but
    that was probably because it was when I tried to move the mouse
    pointer I realised that the system had froze - it could have happened
    before I touched the Ultranav. Lately it has happened several times
    when I was not using the computer and the screensaver was on.

    Thanks for the response. Note that my problem is different from yours
    in that my machine never "unfreezes".

    Best Regards,
    Emo

    N. Emo, Oct 22, 2003
  5. N. Emo

    N. Emo Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel. As I just wrote in another posting
    I suspected Ultranav to be the problem, and thus updated the driver
    when the problem started. Without success.

    However, prompted by your posting I found that a newer driver has been
    released since I updated. I have installed it know, and try to write
    with my fingers crossed.

    Best Regards,
    Emo

    N. Emo, Oct 22, 2003
  6. N. Emo

    N. Emo Guest

    Alas, it froze again.

    Also, I ran memdiag last night for 8 hours. I got 2 errors during pass 66.

    -Emo

    N. Emo, Oct 23, 2003
  7. N. Emo

    Nate Guest

    I have a centrino t40 with 1 gb memory (512 mb is crucial if I
    remember), and I have experienced these freezes also. I am on a fresh
    install of Windows with the latest drivers, and I've not been able to
    get to the bottom of this problem either. After the fresh install, I
    ran some benchmarks to check over things, and it came back fine. This
    fresh install was to fix another problem (fixed now), but the freezing
    problem remains (just experienced a freeze). I suspected the intel
    chipset driver or mpci wireless configuration, but I haven't tried
    taking out the memory. I'm going to see if my sys admin at school has
    some extra memory around I can try and post the findings back up.

    Nate

    Nate, Oct 30, 2003
  8. N. Emo

    George Guest

    I finally gave up on crucial memory and bought IBM memory and have had
    no problems. Something is wrong with crucial memory in T40's. They
    sent me 2 rev's that thy initially both said would work.

    IBM negociated a little on the price to ease the pain.

    George, Nov 2, 2003
  9. N. Emo

    John Guest

    I have the same problem, IBM t40 with the centrino chip. My computer
    was freezing completely up with the IBM memory. I thought that I would
    need more and got an extra chip from Crucial. It still froze so I
    removed the crucial chip. Still freezes up completely. I have done the
    clean install, all of the updates and have now sent it to the IBM
    service center where they say that it will not duplicate the problem.
    It seems that the only success that I have had is if I disable the PCI
    bus power management and the computer power management setting as
    well. The machine runs so slow then.

    John, Nov 14, 2003