IBM T40, Standby or Hibernate between sales calls

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Ian Jones, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Ian Jones

    Ian Jones Guest

    Ian Jones, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Ian Jones

    sapper Guest

    In Standby - the computer essentially keeps everything as is, power is
    supplied to retain memory etc. In Hibernation - everything is copied to a
    file and the power is turned off.

    Coming to 'normal operating' state should be faster from Standby than from
    Hibernation -- I have done no tests to confirm.

    Temperature wise I believe that the maximum operating temperature is what
    you need to worry about for Standby. In the case of Hibernation since
    everything is off, you might be able to go somewhat higher.

    If the intervals between presentations are short (say 45 min) or so I'd use
    standby. Another alternative is to get a charger for the car and then you
    do not need to worry too much about the intervals. Just put it in standby
    and hook it up in the car.

    sapper, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Ian Jones

    Pete Bennett Guest

    There might be another issue. I don't know if mobile disk drives park their
    heads when shut down. If they do, then hibernating would be safer, since
    the drive will be powered-off. If you're in stand-by and jolt the drive,
    you
    might be more likely to get a head crash. Maybe.

    Pete Bennett
    Distributed Systems Professional Services Ltd.

    p e t e AT d s p s DOT net

    Pete Bennett, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Ian Jones

    sapper Guest

    I do not think you have to worry about that. Drive manufacturers take care
    of that. It has not happened to me - and I have been using computers more
    years than I want to think of!

    sapper, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Ian Jones

    Ian Jones Guest

    Ian Jones, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Ian Jones

    sapper Guest

    Ian and Pete,

    In both hibernate mode and in standby the head will go wherever it is
    designed to go (a landing zone). You can even power down the disk drive
    while the system is still running - the processor is running, memory
    accesses are made, the disk can be powered down after a given period of
    inactivity - on my Thinkpad I have it set to power off after 20 minutes when
    on battery and 1 hour when plugged in.

    The difference between standby and hibernate is that in hibernate an exact
    copy of physical memory is copied to file and the power to memory, disk etc
    is turned off. When you power up the system this memory is reloaded and the
    system takes off from where you left it. In standby mode the physical
    memory is NOT copied to a file - instead a small charge is maintained to
    retain memory - the disk drive and display are turned off.

    You will notice that when you hibernate the system takes a lot longer to
    'turn off' - this is because memory is being copied to a file on the disk.
    And so also you restart standby is faster as memory does not have to be
    copied back in from a relatively slow device (the disk).

    sapper, Aug 19, 2003