IBM T40 system instabilities if USB port is not used (crashes, IR-port slow/break down)

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Reinhard Gerhards, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Three months ago I got a new T40. After three weeks the computer
    started to crash, first the periods between crashes were some hours,
    after 2 weeks this period had reduced to less than 15 minutes.
    At that time I got a new system board, but the same happened as
    before.
    In this situation I found a work around which sounds very strange: By
    chance I used a USB memory stick and when this stick was connected no
    more system crashs occured (this works also with an USB mouse).
    Removing the stick.... and some minutes later the system chrashes
    again.

    Then I got a third system board and now everything seemed to be OK.
    Since then I had no more system crashes.

    This was odd, but I thought I could live with this situation. This
    week now, I used the IR port to print to a HP 990. The print started
    but after some lines of printing a kind of synchronizing problem
    occured and the print out hanged and finally after some minutes the
    spool driver gives up and an error message is displayed. In this case,
    in contrast to the problem I described first, the system was still
    working.
    Just because of curiosity I put the memory stick into the USB port....
    and hey, the print out ran fast and smooth without any problems.
    I verified this behaviour several times.

    This is not normal and I wonder if there are ideas why the system
    could be running better if an USP port is used. For me it seems that
    the system is at the edge of stability.

    May be others have the same problems and we can bring IBM to do
    something and not just replacing instable boards to find boards which
    are slightly more stable.

    I appreciate your comments.

    Reinhard

    ***********************
    System details:

    T40 model 2373-72 G
    Bios version 1.07
    embedded controller 1.02

    P M 1.5GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD,
    32MB ATI Radeon 7500, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD(slim), Modem(CDC), 1Gb
    Ethernet(LOM), Intel 802.11b Wireless(MPCI), Secure Chip(TCPA),
    UltraNav, 6 cell battery, WinXP Pro

    + 512 MB RAM

    Reinhard Gerhards, Nov 21, 2003