    installed on this computer.

    The T40 is a 2374-72U model. Does it have USB2 or not?

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Dan

    JHEM Guest

    Yes. All T40 series machines have USB2.0 ports.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Dan

    Song Li Guest

    I've been getting that message on a T41 lately. And the ports really are
    running at USB1.1 speeds now.

    If I turn off the PC, plug in the USB device, and boot, then there are no
    warnings and it runs at 2.0 speed.

    I'm running XP Pro SP2. I didn't have this problem until the last couple
    weeks.

    Song Li, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    That's what I thought. Any ideas as to why they are running at USB1
    speed?

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I wonder if it's SP2? Did you notice it after installing SP2?

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I deleted all of the USB stuff from Device Manager and re-booted. It
    came back up as USB2 ports, and is working fine now. Music transfers
    to the DJ are much faster now! Also, the descriptions in Device
    Manager are different from what they were before.

    Thanks for your help.

    Dan

    Dan, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Dan

    Song Li Guest

    I didn't have this problem prior to SP2, but I'm not sure if it started
    immediately after SP2, or after the first hotfix to SP2. I don't plug in
    USB devices very often, so I can't be definite about when it went bad, but
    it's definitely broken now.

    Song Li, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Dan

    Song Li Guest

    I tried that,too, but my ports still claim to be USB1.1, unfortunately. I
    have to boot with the USB device already plugged in to get 2.0 speeds.

    Song Li, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Dan

    Stinking Pig Guest

    I use a LaCie USB2 drive heavily with my T40, and it was absolutely
    SP2 that broke USB 2.0. I've updated the LaCie's firmware and the
    ThinkPad's BIOS, configured XP to not manage USB power, and read a ton
    of web articles.

    As described earlier, if you boot with the external device plugged in,
    you can get USB 2.0 speed -- however, this will only last for a little
    while. After maybe 30 minutes, maybe 60 minutes, the device will drop
    off the USB bus and reattach at low speed. When you're running VMWare
    images from the external disk, this does very bad things to your
    world.

    I've done enough research now to think that this is an IBM specific
    issue, most people seeing it are on ThinkPads.

    Stinking Pig, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Dan

    Song Li Guest

    Thanks for that information. I guess I will quit trying to do anything
    about it myself, and hope for a fix from IBM.

    Song Li, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Dan

    n0sferatu Guest

    Was there any resolution to this? I have the same problem with my IPod.
    It connects only infrequently at USB2.0 speeds.

    HH

    n0sferatu, Dec 2, 2004