IBM T41 or R50?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Del Tribute, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Del Tribute

    Del Tribute Guest

    I'm on the edge of a precipice. I need a new laptop and will probably use it
    as my primary machine. I have tried both of the main 17" machines (Toshiba
    and HP) and while they're fine (the HP is a LOT better IMHO), neither is
    good for me. They're simply too big. The only real advantage they have is
    the 17" screen, and you could buy a nice 17" screen and plug your T41 or R50
    into it.

    So I ask--are the perceived differences between the R series and the T
    series real or imagined in your view? I've own and used both for short
    periods, and did not find that much difference between them. The R model I
    tried a year ago had a better keyboard than the T40 I tried at the same
    time. Otherwise, one was slightly (?) bigger, one slightly faster.
    Otherwise . . . same.

    But I'd like to get clear responses from people who have strong feelings
    about these models one way or the other.

    I see that IBM is now going to offer the 3 year warranty on the R50 series.

    I don't know whether to get the 14" or 15" screen.

    I can't quite figure out whether the IBM "multi-burner" is a DVD-rw as well
    as a cd-rw, or if they mean something else by "multi-burner," and I don't
    seem to be able to find the manufacturer or the speed specs for this unit.
    Would like to hear from anyone who has used it as to what it is and how fast
    it is.

    and there is weight--the R50 with the 15" flexview weighs in at 6.8 pounds,
    i believe. the T41s come in at 5.4 pounds, I think. In real world terms,
    how much difference does that make? Not for carrying so much as just moving
    it about the office, or about the house. Picking it up with one hand at your
    desk--that sort of thing.

    I'm using a 600X at the moment and it's an ideal size and weight (I think
    it's about 5 and a half pounds). If I could stuff a fast processor and a
    fast & big HD in this, I'd probably be ok, but the screen (13.2") is smaller
    than I'd like.

    Just any opinion you want to share would be counted helpful & appreciated.

    Del Tribute, Oct 12, 2003