    R50p than the Ultra Bay Slim on the T41p.

    Is the extra size of the R50p worth it?

    Thanks.

    Michael Tissington, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Build quality is not the same - T series is top of the range build quality
    (3 year warranty), whereas R series is bottom (relatively speaking of
    course - it's still IBM), and has only 1 year warranty - I've heard some
    things about it not actually being made by IBM, too. I didn't realise the R
    series had DVD-R, but apparently it's coming some time/eventually on the T
    series...

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Duncan James Murray:
    I don't know anything about the build quality or who actually makes it, but
    the R50p has a three-year warranty. It also has the FlexView display which
    is not available in the T series.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Yes - I think it does have a three warranty in certain countries - but in
    the u.k., only the T series has a 3 year warranty, the A, R and X series are
    all 1 year. I know for sure that the R series is not of the same build
    quality as the T series - if you google for it you will see some discussion
    on it, and when purchasing my laptop was informed that this was also the
    case.

    Didn't realise R series had flex-view too!

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Nov 16, 2003
  5. The R50P appears to be the replacement for the A31P
    Anyone know if it has video in?

    Bruce Markowitz, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Michael Tissington

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Note the 'p' at the end of R50p. The plain R50 probably has a 1-year
    warranty; I would surprised if the R50p didn't have a 3-year warranty --
    the 'p' models have always had it, at least in the U.S. as far as I
    know. Right now the R50p is the top of the line Thinkpad.

    BTW, does anyone know if the docking station for the R50p is the same
    form factor as the older A22/A30/A31 docking stations? I have an A22p
    with the docking station from last year. The new docking station for
    the T series is a different form factor, which makes a new T4x a rather
    expensive proposition (I *must* have the docking station). If I could
    plop an R50p into my current docking station, that would solve my
    upgrade dilemma.

    Donkey Agony, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Michael Tissington

    Paul Duffy Guest

    I asked the same question about 3 weeks ago...and the answer is no.

    There are cable tidies for the R series but no proper docking station.

    That's why I'm sticking to my A31P.

    Paul Duffy, Nov 17, 2003
  8. Michael Tissington

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Bummer. But thanks for letting me know
    Wow, I can't believe there's no docking station for the R50p. Maybe
    they just haven't released it yet. Or maybe they figure that anyone who
    wants a dockable laptop will move to a T-series Thinkpad, and that R50p
    users will only use them standalone.
    I really don't understand IBM's Thinkpad strategy these days. It seems
    to be in limbo. Dell and a slew of others are now selling 15.4" screen
    laptops with new resolutions ranging from 1280x800 to something beyond
    even UXGA, while IBM stops developing the A series and brings out an
    R50p with no docking station. What kind of strategy is that?

    Donkey Agony, Nov 17, 2003
  9. Michael Tissington

    Me Guest

    Me, Nov 17, 2003
  10. Michael Tissington

    Paul Duffy Guest

    Errrrr....

    The R series isn't supported on the dock II according to the page link
    you listed...."Compatible with all ThinkPad X, T and A Series notebooks
    (excludes the ThinkPad A21e model)" and if you go to the R50P website
    it's not supported.

    Ignore everything I just wrote above and thanks twister....

    I just found this:-

    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-53251

    I wish IBM would get better info out there sometimes...I'm happy again
    now.

    Paul Duffy, Nov 17, 2003
  11. Hi Guys - I'm afraid I don't agree with you about the R series being the top
    of the range (though the R50p is top of the R-series range), nor do I think
    the the R series is a replacement for the A-series. Though possibly the
    A-series may be phased out, I don't think the R-series is up to the build
    quality of those laptops. That is why it doesn't have a docking station -
    it is designed on more of a budget and is therefore less flexible. If
    anyone can compare a T series and R series in terms of quality for the
    benefit of the group, that'd be useful.

    This is from Technoworld, who are a supplier of IBM laptops in the U.k. -
    reply to my query about getting an R series:

    ***********************
    Duncan,

    For your budget it'll be better to stretch to a T40 IBM as you get 3yr RTB
    warranty as standard.

    Consider the TC122UK - £1479.33 inc vat

    R40 Tr45MUK - £1169.13 inc vat
    2/3yr warranty extension - £175.08

    The T40 is a better built & lighter machine. Its also got more expansion
    ports.

    chandu
    *****************

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Nov 17, 2003
  12. Michael Tissington

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Me too.

    BTW, I looked up the Thinkpad Dock II and the Mini Dock. Both say they
    only support DVI output up to 1280x1024. I wonder why it only goes up
    to that for DVI -- I would think some would really like to use a huge
    flat panel at a resolution much greater than that.

    Donkey Agony, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Michael Tissington

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Actually, as just pointed out in the Thinkpad newsgroup, it *does* have
    a docking station. In fact, it has two docking stations. The first is
    the Thinkpad Dock II (same one as used with the T4x).

    http://tinyurl.com/vgjo

    Note that page doesn't mention the R series, but it's evidently due to
    IBM's lack of info presenting, since this video page *does* mention it
    for the TP Dock II:

    http://tinyurl.com/vgjx

    The second one is the Thinkpad Mini Dock (doesn't include the bay
    stuff). It's evidently only for the R series.

    http://tinyurl.com/vgjl

    Donkey Agony, Nov 18, 2003
  14. Ahh - whoops - my fault - I don't have a clue about docking stations -
    was just refering to previous postings. I just meant to use it to
    illustrate that the R series isn't designed as a professional a system
    as the T,A and X series, but obviously this wasn't a good example.
    Can anyone back me up that the R series is not up to the same build
    quality as the other ranges?

    Or else will have to root around to find the posts...

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Nov 18, 2003
  15. Having said what I said earlier, I have since looked on the IBM
    website at the R50p - and I'm pretty impressed. What with 128MB video
    RAM, flexview and long battery life etc...

    I also noticed that in the U.k. the warranty is 3 years, and the photo
    of the machine looks very different to the R40 series - so this might
    indicate it isn't built in the same place or to the same build quality
    as the rest of the R series - i.e. it might be built better.... I
    don't know.

    But definetely looks like a capable machine (though does anyone know
    if it has firewire? - don't see why they don't put firewire on
    machines which looks so geared towards graphics e.g. T40p)

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Nov 18, 2003
  16. Michael Tissington

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Good question.

    In the past, when the A series was the flagship, the R series was the
    cheaper alternative.

    The price of the R50p certainly indicates it *may* have changed with the
    R50 series.

    It would be nice to hear from former A*p users who have gotten a new
    R50p.

    Donkey Agony, Nov 18, 2003
  17. Michael Tissington

    chodaboy19 Guest

    I like the T41p better, except it lacks 2 things: DVD+RW and Flexview LCD.
    But it's much thinner and lighter than the R50p.
    I think that within time the T-series will get a DVD+RW drive, not sure
    about the Flexview LCD's though...

    chodaboy19, Nov 18, 2003
  18. Michael Tissington

    Mike Guest

    I debated hard about ordering either T41P or an R50P. Finally the
    R50P won out with the deciding factors being the 15' Flexview, DVD/R,
    and Firewire.

    The light weight and slim form factor of the T41P would have been nice
    but I don't travel much anymore and I didn't want to give up the extra
    featurs of the R50P.

    Maybe the T5O/P will have DVDR and a 15' Flexview but it hasn't been
    announced as of yet. If a T50P was available then it would be no
    brainer.

    I don't know about the build quality of the R50P but it uses a
    different chasis then the lower end R40 and IBM is marketing it as a
    "mobile workstation". It does not however have the magnesium coating
    of the T series.

    My R50P shipped today so I'll know more in a few days.

    -Mike

    Mike, Nov 19, 2003
  19. Where did you read that the R50p has FireWire ?

    Michael Tissington, Nov 19, 2003
  20. Michael Tissington:
    According to the TABOOK, it doesn't:

    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.pdf

    Oddly enough, though, some of the non-"p" R50 models *do* have FireWire.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Nov 19, 2003