IBM T42 Wireless Card FRU 91P7301 Wireless Card Drivers

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Larry, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Ok, I've been working on ThinkPad's for over 10 years and this one has me
    stumped.

    When I got this T42 it didn't have a Wireless Card, so logistics ordered me
    the IBM 91P7301 card, which is the IBM 802.11 a/b/g card.

    I recently decided to do my own bare-metal image for this machine instead of
    using the corporate load. Everything is fine except the wireless drivers.

    System Update will not capture the card info and present the drivers.

    I searched IBM for this card, by FRU, and found the download page for it.

    It calls for the 77wc73ww.exe drivers from this page:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52527

    Version: 5.0.100.112d Release Date: 2007/01/11

    These are NOT the correct drivers. They do not activate the card.

    No matter where I search, it always end up back at this page.

    I know the card works because it was fine before I formatted the drive. I
    even disassembled the unit to make sure I had the right FRU for the card.

    After about 6 hours of this nonsense, I broke down and downloaded the last
    version of Access Connections that has a driver pack included (3.81). When
    I ran the installer, I deselected Access Connections (I don't want this old,
    buggy version) and left only the drivers selected. After the install, the
    Wireless card is up and running.

    The problem is, the way AC bundles these drivers, I have no idea which one
    it installed. Windows just says it's version 4.1.102.1095 dated 8/25/2005.

    I want to find the correct stand-alone drivers for this card.

    At first glance, my only guess is Lenovo has screwed something up with the
    drivers listed earlier in this post, and while they are SUPPOSED to be for
    this card, there is a bug preventing them from installing.

    Also, after getting the card running with the AC drivers, a run of System
    Update shows no newer drivers. I kinda find it hard to believe that year
    and a half old wireless drivers are the latest.

    Anyone else run across this?

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 16, 2007

  2. You'll need the following to have the minipci card working:

    1) The driver: that one is the correct one. The card is an Atheros
    2) The latest hotkey features app
    3)The latest AC which is 4.23

    E.Giorgio Lalli, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Hi Larry,
    you need the driver package 77wc38ww.exe, which is the very last version of
    drivers that supports your card, the newer driver version 5.... edition do
    only support IBM 802.11 a/b/g II version cards. You can read this
    somewhere at the bottom of the readme for the 77wc73ww.exe download.

    best regards Manfred

    Manfred Goebel, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Larry

    CBFalconer Guest

    This newsgroup is fairly new, so now is the time to correct the
    evil habit of top-posting. Your answer belongs after, or
    intermixed with, the *snipped* material you quote. See the
    following links:

    --
    Some informative links:

    CBFalconer, Jan 18, 2007
  5. I promise to improve.

    Manfred

    Manfred Goebel, Jan 19, 2007
  6. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Got everything except the driver. Had all that.

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

    Thanks !

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Manfred,

    Wow, that was HARD to find!

    IBM seems to have removed it from all of their download sites. A google
    search only resulted in one page of hits, most of them in a foriegn
    lanquage.

    I finally found it on a Chinese FTP site.

    Thanks again :)

    -Larry

    Larry, Jan 22, 2007