IBM T43- The Final Solution

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Angelo Campanella, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. T43- The Final Solution

    Dear All:

    My past posts here have dealt with my aging T43 (5+ years): First I had
    trouble with the CD bay popping out (fastened shut with packing tape). Then
    keys popped off, almost lost, tabs broke on 4 or 5 of them, taped back in
    place. Then various speeds and RAM problems (outside RAM 1 gig hardly ever
    mounted after a while). Then the screen went dead, so I bought two outboard
    flat screens (big for desk, small for travel, darn nuisance). Finally last
    week the task bar disappeared and the mouse arrow often disappeared down or
    right. Called a local PC guru and he swore he'd fix it in a jiffy, bad
    screen. He bought and installed screen, no difference. But now it won't
    start past a few windows screens. He ordered a used exact replacement
    (T43/2668-76U), only to find it unavailable.

    FINAL SOLUTION: He trolled locally to locate a surplussed (bad economy)
    T43/2668-76U. He swapped in my old battery and hard drive, hunted down a
    driver for the new wireless card, and now I'm back in business. The frame of
    this T43 is essentially new; all keys are present, CD tray obediently stays
    shut, 2 gigs RAM comes up OK, task bar returned, screen is good.

    There is a Santa Claus!

    Last comment: The T43 seems to have a good reputation in the used market. I
    can certainly vouch for it!

    Angelo Campanella

    Angelo Campanella, Sep 11, 2011