IBM T43p screen flicker

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Ben Myers, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Had a client complain that the T43p screen flickered on and off. Got the T43
    HMM, printed the important pages, went over with screwdriver in hand. Took it
    apart to the point where the LCD ribbon cable connected to the motherboard.
    Removed the metal piece that is supposed to hold down the cable's connector
    firmly. Unplugged cable and replugged it, pressing it firmly in place.
    Reattached the metal piece, tightening down its single screw as tightly as I
    could. Reassembled the T43p, and now no flicker after an hour's use.

    Two questions:
    1. Anyone else ever seen this?
    2. Why on earth did Lenovo design the metal piece to attach with only one screw
    to hold the cable connector? This is dumb design! One would think that a
    clamp (or whatever you want to call it) would attach on both sides of the
    connector, held down with one screw on each side.

    I concluded that the connector worked its way loose to the point where some of
    the leads no longer made firm contact. Any other explanation possible?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    richk Guest

    The screw on the left comes from the bottom, thru the cable and into the
    keyboard bezel.

    richk, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Aha! I did not know. Thank you. Makes me feel better about their design...
    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 22, 2008