IBM T43p secondary battery not charging

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dvt, Aug 11, 2008.

  1. dvt

    dvt Guest

    I have an IBM T43p laptop and a secondary battery that plugs in the
    drive bay and extends the operating time of the laptop when it isn't
    plugged in. The secondary battery frequently does not charge when the
    laptop is plugged in or docked. Any suggestions on solutions or places
    to look for a solution?

    More details, in case they help...

    -The T43p comes with a "Power Manager" utility that shows the status of
    the batteries. The Power Manager always recognizes the existence of the
    secondary battery, even if it isn't being charged.

    -When it's not plugged in, the system uses the secondary battery
    completely before drawing on the primary battery. When charging, the
    reverse happens (primary battery charges fully, then secondary battery
    begins to charge... sometimes).

    -When the secondary battery fails to charge, I can force it to charge by
    removing the battery from the laptop and replacing it.

    -Failure to recharge the secondary battery has happened independent of
    the charge state of the main battery. For example, sometimes the primary
    battery is partially discharged (meaning the secondary battery is fully
    discharged), and the secondary battery fails to charge after the primary
    battery is fully charged. And sometimes the primary battery is fully
    charged with the secondary battery partially discharged, and the
    secondary battery still fails to charge.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    dvt, Aug 11, 2008

  2. I've seen the same on my T40. I can't figure out what changed to make
    it start happening. I know its not a problem with the battery.
    Removing and reinstalling the secondary battery starts it charging -
    but its a nuisance to get up in the morning and find it uncharged.

    Marc Auslander, Aug 27, 2008