IBM T61 laptop locks up when sleeping and gets docked

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by tcraig, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. tcraig

    tcraig Guest

    Hi,

    We have a user here who complains that occasionally when he docks his
    Lenovo T61 laptop (running WinXP), it will shut off and he can't power
    it back up.

    This guy frequently works from home, and instead of putting his laptop
    in hibernate or shutting it off, we'll put it in Sleep mode, and bring
    it back to the office. When he gets in, he'll plug it into the
    ThinkPad Advanced Docking Station and power it back up. Apparently,
    it will sometimes just shut off completely, and he can't get it to
    start back up. The only way he can get it to run again is to pull the
    battery and reseat it. This, of course, defeats the purpose of using
    sleep.

    He's downloaded the ThinkVantage updates, and I'd assume Windows
    updates as well. I saw on Lenovo's website there's an issue with some
    of the docks where a static discharge from the docking station might
    cause something similar to this to happen, but it's not applicable to
    this case since the rubber caps are already installed on it.

    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

    tc

    tcraig, Jun 4, 2008

  2. tcraig

    tcraig Guest

    Thanks to both of you for the advice. Bobb, the problem with your
    suggestion about what happens when he powers it up out of the dock is
    that it doesn't happen every time. So if he powers it up out of the
    dock and it works fine, I can't necessarily guarantee it will happen
    again next time. I did have the idea to swap out his docking station
    to see if it happens with a different one. One thing I saw on
    Lenovo's website is that these mini docks have a tendency to make the
    laptop crap out on bootup because of a static discharge, so the dock
    requires little rubber caps... Unfortunately, his has those caps on,
    so I was more curious if anyone knows if this is a pretty consistent
    problem with this model laptop or anything.

    Thanks again for the recommendations, guys!

    tcraig, Jun 16, 2008