    I wanted to see if this is a known issue on these laptops first.

    Thanks,
    Yancey B. Jones

    Yancey B. Jones, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Just a couple of thoughts:

    I had similar problems with a stationary computer, when it was
    overclocked... I don't know if notebooks can be O/C'd, but if they
    can, verify that the speed settings are correct.

    A way to get around the problem (if the notebook is out of warranty
    and money is an issue), might be to use some software that can make a
    backup of the partition info, and then keep it on a diskette and
    reload that info when necessary. The rest of the disk content might
    very well be intact if you're "only" losing the partition info.

    Active Partition Recovery, Get Data Back and Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro
    are some examples of programs that claim to be able to backup and
    restore mbr's, partition tables and lots more. (Haven't tested
    myself.)

    Peter Emanuelsson, Dec 2, 2003

  3. I had similar problems with a stationary computer, when it was
    I don't know that this one can even be overclocked but it isn't in any case.

    It is out of warranty but it is used for business purposes so I don't want
    to take that chance.
    Thanks for the input. I think that the controller is going bad as it is
    starting to have problems reading CD's as well.

    Thanks,
    Yancey

    Yancey B. Jones, Dec 3, 2003