1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

IBM Thinkpad T40 - fan and keyboard

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Henry Carter, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Henry Carter

    Henry Carter Guest

    I received my T40 (model 2379D6U) about 3 weeks ago. It is a really nice
    machine but for the 3 problems below.

    1. The fan is always now, even when the machine is idle and the room is
    air-conditioned. Is that normal ?

    2. The keyboard is solid but the lower right side flexes noticeably. Is
    that the caes with all T40's ?

    3. Periodically, say 2-3 times each hour or so, the system response slows
    to a halt (almost as if the systems has frozen) for a couple of seconds and
    then it is back to normal. During that time, if I'm typing, nothing will
    appear on the screen and then suddenly what I typed will appear. There is
    no disk activity when this happens and it happens whether I turned on or off
    the wireless radio. I've only installed the usual applications (Office XP,
    Visio, Lotus Notes, Norton AntiVirus) and do not run any special background
    jobs. Most of such occurrences take place when I'm typing in Word, Excel or
    in an email application (could actually be any applications, just that I
    spend most of my time typing). The only thing I noticed is that CPU usage
    is 100% when this occurs (according to Task Manager). I've consulted IBM
    technical support but it was not fruitful. My girlfriend has a Sony Z1RA
    which suffers from exactly the same problem. We are both quite baffled
    because our older and much slower Pentium III notebooks don't exhibit this
    problem when the same applications are installed (also running WinXP Pro).

    Any information/suggestion is much appreciated as I'm not sure if I should
    return the notebook.

    Thank you very much
    Henry Carter, Oct 9, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Henry Carter

    Al Adrian Guest

    See in the text.

    My fan is always on too (but it is very quiet).. A recent message mentions
    installing the latest bios to fix it.. haven't tried that yet.
    Other's have mentioned this.. Mine flexes a tiny bit, apparently you can fix
    it by spacing it up a bit. (It is customer removable)
    Mine does (did?) this too. Looking on IBM's website revealed a possible
    fix. Update the UltraNav drivers. I did this a couple evenings ago, but
    haven't typed on it quite enough to be sure that it's fixed.
    I'd suggest working your way through the drivers downloads sections (my IBM
    update connector application didn't work) and update anything you think you
    may need before returning it. Pay special attention to "required versions"
    for each update and try to get the order correct.
    Np... hope this was helpful.

    Al Adrian, Oct 9, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Henry Carter

    Zafar Kazmi Guest

    How do I space it up?

    Zafar Kazmi, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Use spacers. Are you asking for suggestions or something?

    Peter T. Breuer, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Henry Carter

    Zafar Kazmi Guest

    Yes. I don't know what the keyboard spacers are.

    Zafar Kazmi, Oct 13, 2003
  6. There is no "the". Nor "keyboard". Just spacers. I.e. something that
    spaces other things apart. It's not a technical term. At least not a
    computer technical term. Just a sort of general household plumbing
    and DIY term. Look it up in a DIY book!

    Peter T. Breuer, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Henry Carter

    Del Tribute Guest

    i think he means to use some small item, say a rubber washer of some kind,
    or a tiny piece of balsa wood, or cardboard, to wedge the keyboard up off of
    whatever it sits on. It's kind of a homemade thing he's suggesting, I
    believe--you look for where the bending is in the keyboard, and then pull
    the keyboard out and apply whatever "spacer" you can fit into that location
    so that when the keyboard is fitted back down into its place there is no
    flexing in the keyboard.

    just my guess...

    Yes. I don't know what the keyboard spacers are.

    Del Tribute, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Henry Carter

    Zafar Kazmi Guest

    Sorry wasn't thinking clearly!!

    Zafar Kazmi, Oct 14, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.