IBM Thinkpad T41 will not boot, and no beeps.

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by ConDumbNation, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. Greetings,
    This is a last ditch effort to try to understand what's going on with
    my T41.
    When I turn it on, all of the indicator lights flash for a moment and
    then just the power indicator and battery indicator remain on, and
    nothing else happens. No beeps, no hard drive sounds...nothing. The
    last time it booted successfully, it made it to the desktop stage,
    and
    the desktop wasn't sized properly. It then froze. During the past
    100
    or so attempts to start it, there was one instance where it made it
    a screen which offered several options including a backup option.
    When
    I attempted that, it reported that the necessary software was not
    installed. Then, black screen. It hasn't come close to booting up
    since.
    According to the beep code guides I've seen, no beeps at all
    indicates either a system board problem or a power problem. I've
    tried
    F1 during boot, IBM key during boot, every possible f-key, Ctrl+
    combination, and Alt+ combination, all to no avail.
    I'll be taking it to the shop soon, but I thought I would run this by
    some of the experts here to see what I might expect. Thanks for any
    assistance you may be able to offer.

    ConDumbNation, Apr 28, 2009

  2. ConDumbNation

    - Bobb - Guest

    Only a Step 1 to try:

    Remove the battery.
    Then leave unplugged for several days
    Plug it back in without a battery - just to see if the symptom changes.
    If so, it's a power-related problem.
    Update us.

    - Bobb -, Apr 30, 2009

  3. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'll give it a try.

    ConDumbNation, Apr 30, 2009
  4. ConDumbNation

    John Navas Guest

    [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]

    Does the screen display anything at all when you power it on?
    Have you tried booting from a diagnostics CD?

    Did you hold down (not just press) the F1 key? If so, and you don't see
    the BIOS screen, there's probably nothing you can do.
    No need to leave it unplugged that way for more than a few minutes.

    John Navas, May 12, 2009
  5. ConDumbNation

    Horst Franke Guest

    In
    OK ConDumbNation, WHAT necessary software?
    What black screen = BSOD with what indication?
    Please be more specific with Your reports.
    NO beeps at all does not identify a hardware problem!
    You failed to start a reasonable failure analysis!
    NO, your input is too poor to suggest any thing!
    So take it to the shop.
    Horst

    Horst Franke, May 19, 2009