    simultaneously, but still nothing.

    I'm not sure what else to do.

    Thanks a lot for any help!

    Pokerskatershark, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Pokerskatershark

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Pokerskatershark typed on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:34:40 -0800 (PST):
    First thing I would try is:

    1) Remove the main battery and try...

    2) Try with an external montior...

    3) If possible, swap the memory with good memory...

    Does the AC charge the battery with the power off? If so, that sounds
    like a good sign, but the AC adapter could be weak enough to fail
    running the laptop. Also the computer should beep and the number of
    beeps tells an expert what code that is. And that tells what the laptop
    is stopping and powering down. Although if the power fails, that might
    not happen.

    BillW50, Feb 6, 2008

  3. I took the battery out and actually was able to get to the screen and
    it turned on for a brief moment. It gave me "0190 - Critical Battery
    Error" and then shut itself off.

    I do not see a charging light with the battery installed and the AC
    plugged in.

    I didn't hear any beeps either.

    Thanks!

    Pokerskatershark, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Pokerskatershark

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Pokerskatershark typed on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:01:09 -0800 (PST):
    Mmmm... Could be a failed CMOS battery and that main battery might be
    shot too. But I am just guessing.

    BillW50, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Is that something I can replace?

    Pokerskatershark, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Pokerskatershark

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Pokerskatershark typed on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:44:23 -0800 (PST):
    Well if you know how to disassemble the laptop. This is different and
    not all of them are the same. Plus you can usually Google the CMOS
    battery for your make and model and find a place that sells them.

    Here is something else to think about. A lot of laptops that don't work,
    has a loose DC jack. If you wiggle the plug in the jack, you can see
    that is the problem.

    BillW50, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Pokerskatershark

    JFG Guest

    First thing I think of is bad RAM. If it has two sticks, remove one and try
    it. Then try with the other. If it's not RAM, then I'd try to boot it with
    a dos boot disk. It it boots and stays on, then you probably have some
    massive software mess that will require a reinstall of Windows. Or you
    could download and boot PCLinuxOS and see if that works for that machine.
    Maybe none of this will help, but it's all worth trying. Best, JG

    JFG, Feb 6, 2008
  8. I took the ram out and it still won't boot up. I also check the power
    input and it seems fine. I'll try the CMOS battery tomorrow.

    Thanks a lot for all the input!

    Pokerskatershark, Feb 7, 2008
  9. First off, what is the model number? That makes all the difference in
    the world. The initial behavior says bad RAM.
    I suspect bad Ram or a bad AC PSU. Some Thinkpads have a known issue
    with faulty RAM slots as well.

    The power jack might be loose, but it is an easy replacement in a
    Thinkpad. (The mounting screw sometimes comes loose). (Only brand smart
    enough not to solder it to the motherboard).

    It should boot whether the CMOS battery is dead or not.

    G.G. Willikers, Feb 8, 2008
  10. Pokerskatershark

    BillW50 Guest

    In G.G. Willikers typed on Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:17:01 GMT:
    [...]
    Pokerskatershark typed on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:01:09 -0800 (PST):
    What makes you say that Willikers? What does critical battery error
    means to you? Faulty RAM? You can't be serious?

    BillW50, Feb 8, 2008