IBM USB Portable CD-ROM Windows 98 Driver?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Brown, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. John Brown

    John Brown Guest

    So here's the deal:

    I have an IBM X20 Laptop running Windows 98, which requires a separate
    driver to use this USB CD-ROM. I ran into a driver conflict, so i tried an
    uninstall/reinstall for the drivers. Imagine my chagrin when I realized
    that I did not have the drivers for this peripheral on a separate disk any
    more (too many moves).

    It turns out that IBM doesn't have the Windows drivers for this product
    either. For the curious, its FRU 00N8244, and is an OEM version of the TEAC
    CD-210PU. I've found drivers for the TEAC drive which look pretty much like
    i remember the IBM drivers looking, but the IBM drive must ID differently,
    because they won't install. IBM is not all that interested in helping out,
    though I've tried to contact them about it.

    So, here are my questions/requests:

    1) If anyone has these drivers, I would love to get them if that's
    possible. you can email me at allen[underscore]adale[at]yahoo[dot]com.

    2) If someone has a sense of how I would go about modifying the inf file to
    trick windows into installing the TEAC drivers, that would be really
    helpful. Feel free to answer here or email me.

    Thanks,

    Allen

    John Brown, Oct 26, 2003

  2. John Brown

    David B. Guest

    Google is a wonderful thing, did a search for "00N8244 driver" and there it was.

    David B., Oct 26, 2003

  3. John Brown

    John Brown Guest

    which is the ONE search i didn't do. damn.

    thanks a million.

    allen

    John Brown, Oct 26, 2003
  4. I dont care for CDdrives since 3 years ago, why? First, for mass storage I
    use portable DVD+R/+RW (no power required, sucks off Firewire or USB,
    Firewire is easy to add to any laptop with cardbus/PCMCIA slot if Firewire
    not already present as on Thinkpad X32), if you dont want to spend much
    money, hrrrm here's IBM USB2 memory key, it boots anything that has "USB
    boot" option in BIOS< including all current Thinkpads, 128MB key for
    example, for cheaper mass sotrage I use Sandisk Cruzer SD-card based
    upgradeable USB memory key but it is NOT bootable, only IBM, M-systems and
    some taiwanese compamny's product are bootable at present.

    I might be mad, but it is usually not for long

    Mark Levitski, Oct 27, 2003