iBook wake from sleep problem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ian Gregory, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Ian Gregory

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I have a problem on wake from sleep with iBook running 10.3.2
    Never saw it before 10.3.2 and have not seen it yet when I put
    machine to sleep myself, only when the power manager does it.

    When I press the power button to wake from sleep things seem
    OK in that I get the dialog asking for my password, but then
    there is about a 1 in 5 chance of getting a black screen. This
    is NOT a problem with the backlight because I can still see and
    move the cursor on the otherwise black screen. The Only way out
    I found is to hold down the power key till machine shuts down.

    So I turned on sshd and the next time it happened I got in
    using Putty from my friend's Windows machine (oh the shame!).
    Everything seemed to be working but how to regain control?
    After a bit of mucking about this process caught my eye:

    /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Mac

    I decided to try killing it and my iBook screen came to life
    with a login window. Ok, so I had to log in again but that is
    much better than having to power-cycle.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am not quite
    ready to give up and disable power management.

    Many thanks,

    Ian Gregory
    Systems and Applications Manager
    Learning and Information Services
    University of Hertfordshire

    Ian Gregory, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Ian Gregory

    Alan Quirt Guest

    I have had similar problems. Sometimes I can break out of it by closing
    the case, waiting til the pulsing light tells me it has gone to sleep,
    then opening the case again and re-entering the password.
    Next time I plan to try an unconditional kill of the front process by
    using cmd-option-shift-esc as soon as I have entered my password.

    Alan Quirt, Feb 12, 2004