    I get a beep then a chime when my iBook G3 700 starts but nothing ever
    appears on the screen, no flicker or aything. What should I try?

    - JB

    JB, Jun 14, 2005

  2. JB

    Taryn Guest

    Does it sound like it boots? do you hear the drive working? do you have
    the VGA dongle to hook up an external display? If you hold it up to a
    bright light can you see the desktop faintly?

    Common iBook failure is the backlight power cable, sometimes they'll be
    intermittent. There's also a recall on some iBooks for display
    controller problems.

    Taryn, Jun 14, 2005

  3. JB

    Mike Berger Guest

    First you should try and see if you're covered by the mother
    board recall on some iBooks that have video problems.

    Check this link to see if yours is one of the affected
    models:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/>

    Mike Berger, Jun 14, 2005
  4. JB

    Clark Martin Guest

    Try hitting the F2 key repeatedly to turn up the screen brightness.

    Try looking at the screen with a bright light (sunlight for example),
    can you see the desktop?

    Clark Martin, Jun 17, 2005