    engineer?Which one is more promising?Need to make a choice right now.

    Thanks,

    Ethan

    yijun_lily, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Neither, pick something in the humanities
    and leave a job for the rest of us....

    GrumpyOldGeek, Jun 6, 2005

  3. As company ? For which application ?
    As student ? Aiming at what ? Best salary, most chances, .. ?

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Jun 6, 2005
  4. yijun_lily

    yijun_lily Guest

    Student. Want to search for a job and concentrate my study on it.Advice
    for me?Which one is more promising?

    yijun_lily, Jun 6, 2005
  5. yijun_lily

    cyberzl1 Guest

    Advice: Don't plan your education with a "job" in mind. What do you
    like to do? What are you good at? A hardware designer vs a software
    engineer. While interrelated are very different fields and different
    aptitudes are going to be better suited to one or the other. Not to
    say that a person couldn't do one or not the other, but certain
    personalities and mannerisms make one more suitable over the other.

    JW

    cyberzl1, Jun 6, 2005
  6. yijun_lily

    Scott Moore Guest

    Depends on what you mean by promising. If you meant which is more
    interesting, then pick the one that interests you.

    If you meant which one pays better, then become a lawyer.

    Scott Moore, Jun 6, 2005
  7. yijun_lily

    Lanarcam Guest

    Or could it be that the reverse is true, that you develop your
    personality by doing one or the other?

    You obviously need to have a general education in science as
    the embedded devices interact with the physical environment.

    Mechanics, optics, control theory, statistics are as useful
    as techniques that you can acquire later.

    Learning how to use tools such as an oscilloscope, a logic
    states analyser, an emulator are useful to both if you want
    to be able to investigate serious problems.

    And now that compilers can implement algorithms in hardware
    or in software, is there a difference;)

    Lanarcam, Jun 6, 2005
  8. Both are out of reach for a student.
    Embedded means knowing a lot about cpu architectures,
    ASM, software, communication, sensors, whatever,
    the IC stuff requires physics and such.

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Jun 6, 2005
  9. yijun_lily

    cyberzl1 Guest

    Or could it be that the reverse is true, that you develop your
    Perhaps. From personal experience, "good" HW guys have a certain
    personality. As do the "good" SW guys. As to what is cause or effect,
    I dont' have an answer. Personally, I can do HW design, but I am not
    good at it. I am much better at software, but I like it a lot better
    too.
    Useful, but these can be picked up pretty quick if you have an adequate
    background. Does pay to learn at least the basic functionality of each
    of these tools. Everyone you use will have it's own unique quirks, but
    the basics stay the same.
    Fair enough. The line is getting blurry, but each has it's own core
    background that is uniquely different.

    cyberzl1, Jun 6, 2005
  10. yijun_lily

    yijun_lily Guest

    Thanks for your advices. I have some education background on both IC
    design and Embedded system design. I just want to put more time on one
    only and to be proficient at it.

    If I like to become a system architect in the future, how do I make a
    choice?Want to make an efficient career path and don't want to waste
    time. I wasted some times before due to I am not sure what I will be
    and how I need to do.

    Thanks,

    yijun_lily, Jun 6, 2005
  11. yijun_lily

    Lanarcam Guest

    If you want to become a real system engineer, that's quite
    challenging. Real system engineers must know about all
    the sub systems in a system, and that can be mechanical
    subsystems, hydraulic subsystems, electronics, software,
    and also data analysis.

    You need to have a working knowledge in all the fields, if
    you want to be a competent one. You wouldn't work as one
    directly after the university. You would work in each field.

    Now you may speak about a system architect as one who specifies
    and designs an electronics sub system both from the hardware
    and the software point of view. As before you would need
    to have a working knowledge of both fields. You have no
    choice but to learn both, at least at the university, and
    perhaps, after, you specialize more in one or the other.

    Lanarcam, Jun 7, 2005
  12. yijun_lily

    yijun_lily Guest

    Hello Lanarcam,

    I got you. Thanks.

    You have deep understanding on this field. What do you do ritht now?

    yijun_lily, Jun 7, 2005
  13. yijun_lily

    Lanarcam Guest

    Reading this interesting thread and also my best;)

    You can find these information in any good book about
    system engineering. This does not mean you will become
    instantly a system engineer. I have met some and they
    were really competent.

    Lanarcam, Jun 7, 2005
  14. yijun_lily

    yijun_lily Guest

    Lanarcam,

    I got the direct information about the real life from you. Sometimes
    there is a difference between books and the real life.:) Thanks again.

    Could you tell me how they can be really competent?Could you please
    tell me about them briefly?I want to try my best to follow them.:)

    yijun_lily, Jun 7, 2005
  15. yijun_lily

    Ben Bradley Guest

    Embedded was not out of reach for me and my KIM-1 when I was a
    student. With the AVR's, PIC's, and free assemblers and compilers,
    it's easier than ever.

    <you-younguns-have-it-easy rant>
    Why, when I was in college I had to hand-assemble my own programs,
    and enter them byte-by-byte on a hexadecimal keypad. You don't even
    believe me!
    Embedded can require some physics too.

    Embedded is like being a nurse, it's not too hard to get started
    in, and it pays reasonably well. IC design is like being a doctor, it
    requires more schooling, but pays more.

    But watch out for the competition - with "managed care" and HMO's
    and such, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of doctors are getting into
    IC design...

    Ben Bradley, Jun 8, 2005