IC7-G arrives today, now which CPU and Memory?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by P-51D, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. P-51D

    P-51D Guest

    I'm running an old Asus P2B-S in my PC right now and I'm in the
    process of upgrading my system. I'm on somewhat of a budget so I split
    my upgrade up into two purchases. I found out yesterday that I have
    some extra cash coming so I can go a little fancier than what I had
    planned.

    Here's what I have so far:
    PC Power & Cooling Solid Steel Tower <- from old system
    PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 300 ATX PS <- from old system
    Abit IC7-G
    Maxtor Serial ATA 5700rpm 120GB 8MB buffer
    Plextor CD-RW

    I have not ordered memory or CPU yet. Since I've had a nice little
    windfall I can think about getting some high-end memory or maybe a
    pair of Raptors. I'm a little concerned about the PS but it's a
    high-end unit so I think it might be OK.

    The plan is to do a bit of overclocking once I get everything running.
    I'd like to find a good balance between overclocking/stability.

    I've seen a lot of recommendations for the OCZ PC-3700 GOld memory, so
    I'm considering that, but it's pretty expensive. Looking for your
    suggestions on which CPU/Memory I should go with... and if I should
    stick with the old PS.

    P-51D, Aug 28, 2003

  2. P-51D

    @ndrew Guest

    No the power supply will probably work but not be adequate by any means .. I
    would go with an Antec 400 watt or up.
    For the CPU please yourself ... I am running a P4 2.4 at 3Ghz quite happily
    and with the savings you could put this towards the power supply.
    Memory ... most people use Corsair .. I am using Kingston just make sure
    they are paired PC800 DDR.
    My suggestion is also to look at the ABIT forums poage on their website ..
    Raptors have been giving a few probs with most motherboards atm .. bit of a
    crap shoot.
    regards
    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Aug 29, 2003

  3. P-51D

    TomG Guest

    I have had good results with a 2.8c myself...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com