  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Which style of BIOS Savior does the IC7-G require?

    Jim, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    Start 'here' :
    ==> http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/SelectionChart.html

    In the case of an Award 'flash' based mobo, the app=awdflash.exe aughta
    ID the mobo's eeprom chip .
    From "there", see if there is a suitable BS device.

    Above URL has 'all' that you need to ID the mobo eeprom chip,
    then ID a suitable BS, if one exists.

    Me?
    I'd take the cover off & visually verify the mobo eeprom chip.

    I suspect that IOSS no longer maintains a list of compatable mobos, by
    vendor ...
    and has left "that" determination for DIY ...

    good hunting,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    A =good= mobo 'pic' mite "show" ...
    or,
    someone with an IC7 could run awdflash for you .

    =Chances= are that a suitable BS exists ...

    A good investment ...

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    0_Qed,
    That's the gist of it, I'm ordering an IC7-G, but don't have one to
    look at right now. I'd like to order the correct BS when I order the
    IC7-G.

    Jim, Feb 19, 2005
  5. IMO, the answer would be "none". The best type of BIOS saviour has always
    been common sense. Anyone who knows how long I've been playing with
    customised BIOSes knows I've flashed a few in my time, but I've *never* seen
    one go pear-shaped.

    Devices like this play very cleverly on one's fear of the unknown (very al
    Qaeda), but on a modern board, with modern flash utilities, and with the
    aforementioned common sense, there are better ways to spend a few quid.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    Richard,

    ....snip...
    Are you 'down_playing' the very real =threat= of Al Qaeda ???

    Essentially,
    that is about "what" you've just done,
    irrespective of your initial message "label" of [IMO] ...

    As "one" who was a bit too 'close' to the events of '911' ,
    I take severe =issue= with your choice of terms.

    Me?
    I can, and do, differentiate twixt 'idle threat' and 'embedded intent' .

    Further,
    your dismissal, out of hand,
    of the Bios Saviour as a useful device
    is a bit =extreme=,
    do you not think ???

    And finally ,
    I 'do' think that "Dear Alfred"
    would now admit that he had trod the wrong "path"
    toward the "Theory of Everything" ...
    if 'he' were to re_appear, somehow.

    He truly did have the =tempered= 'wisdom' of his convictions,
    he simply didnt live long enuf to 'excercise' it.

    be well,
    Qed

    0_Qed, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    :)
    I did well not to allude to Alfred's "wanderings", I thot.
    Oops!
    Did "I" just "dooo" that !!

    Oh Well .
    My apologies, Dear Alfred, Sir.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 20, 2005
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    0_Qed,
    At least you left the sheep out of this.<g>

    Jim, Feb 20, 2005
  9. I'm playing down the threat of a sinister, secretive, integrated, highly
    organised, highly distributed, well funded, "global terror network" able to
    attack Western civilisation at any time, as portrayed by both our
    Governments, because such a network, and its implied level of threat, simply
    doesn't exist.

    The "unfounded but pervading threat" is inherent in neo-conservative
    thinking, as it is in selling devices like the BIOS Savior, which is why I
    drew the parallel.
    I don't doubt that there are groups of pissed-off people dotted around the
    world, many of whom are radical, militant Islamists. Terrorism (in one form
    or another) has existed since the dark ages, and the US (both the
    Administration and some of its people) has funded and facilitated terrorism
    in a number of different parts of the world in recent history. Indeed, while
    it may be painful to say so, it's probably fair to say that US funded
    terrorism has killed many more innocent people around the world than 9/11
    did.
    Which, don't you concede, may make it difficult to maintain a truly
    objective overview?

    The idea that America (and by extension its allies) are now fighting a "War"
    against an organised, co-ordinated mass terror network just isn't credible
    when you look at the evidence.

    Sure, there are elements within Islamist society that would like to see an
    Islamist state, and there are also no doubt elements within Islamist society
    that identify with the idea of an Islamist "army" fighting for this cause.
    However, the reality is that Al Qaeda, in the form presented by our
    Governments, is largely (although not completely) a politically expedient
    invention.
    9/11 was a shocking and distressing act, I take no issue with that. It was
    also, unfortunately, seized upon by the neo-cons in the US Administration as
    a gilt-edged opportunity to increase their own powerbase (look at the way
    Paul Wolfowitz and Donald Rumsfeld effectively sidelined Colin Powell) and
    to force their agenda into the mainstream of American politics. We have
    since had to live with the consequences of the neo-con agenda, one of which
    has been an *increase* in radical Islamism across the globe. Go figure.
    I'd take issue with that, but point remains that this thread has now been
    dragged off-topic, and thus any further discussion should really be
    elsewhere.

    I strongly suggest you find Jason Burke's book on al Qaeda, or "The Closing
    of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom, and give both a read. Adam Curtis' BBC
    documentary The Power of Nightmares would also be well worth a watch if you
    can find it broadcast anywhere in the USA.
    I didn't dismiss it out of hand, I suggested that the "threat" of BIOS
    corruption is insignificant, and that there are better ways to spend a few
    bucks, based on (extensive) personal experience.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 20, 2005
  10. Jim

    JefN Guest

    Richard Hopkins wrote:

    <snip>

    | I strongly suggest you find Jason Burke's book on al Qaeda, or "The
    Closing
    | of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom, and give both a read. Adam Curtis'
    BBC
    | documentary The Power of Nightmares would also be well worth a watch if
    you
    | can find it broadcast anywhere in the USA.

    Excellent references and very well reasoned argument, IMO, Richard.

    Jef

    JefN, Feb 21, 2005
  11. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    Richard,

    ....snip...

    Can I assume that you're not convinced of the Al Qaeda 'threat' ???

    Can I further 'assume' you dont wish further argument ???

    "dragged off-topic" -
    Thanks for the 'laugh'. :)

    :)
    A distinction without difference.

    It appears to me(IMO) that you wish to "replace" argument with insult.

    I "take" your stance, but not your ?argument?.

    You mite find personal benifit in researching =further= into the
    past of the Near East ...
    .. your "Lawrence"( of Arabia )
    .. the history of the Saud family
    .. where Osama aquired his mind_set/$$/ et al

    All things considered,
    have a nice day,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 21, 2005
  12. You can assume that, yes. You can also assume that I feel the raft of
    (largely unnecessary) new legislation, restrictions on free movement and
    civil liberties that have been introduced in the name of "The War Against
    Terror" are far more objectionable than whatever limited and diffuse
    "threats" do exist.
    I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. I made it clear that this is now off-topic,
    but if you're going to get your arse in a sling, as in the sentence below,
    I'm not going to let your post go unanswered.
    Come again? There's no insult in my previous post Qed, either explicit or
    implicit.
    On the contrary. I'm pretty well informed on the history of this part of the
    world. If you did your own research on the current situation, instead of
    allowin your proximity "to the events of 911" to dictate your thinking, you
    might not adopt quite such a blinkered view.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 23, 2005
  13. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    Richard Hopkins wrote:

    OK.
    Thats quite clear.
    I'm of the =exact= opposite stance.

    "Here", I kinda 'lean' in your direction ,
    but do 'see' the need for ferrets of "type".

    Our "State" of New Hampshire has had a motto from it's Day_1 ...
    " Live free or die " .

    OK.
    I'm 'arguing', in the sense of debate.

    Sorry, Richard ...
    "=WE=" do that,
    jointly,
    as opposed to unilaterally.
    :)

    But,
    to 'humor' you ...
    your "OT" will remain as a 'joint' reminder.

    No real need to go "off_NG",
    IMHO.

    Good, I'm happy you'll stay the debate ... the argument.

    I dont believe I have either of ;
    .. an arse in a sling, or
    .. my knickers in a twist .

    Huh????
    .. Belittlement of 'BS' users is one case_in_point.
    .. Condescention can 'rise' to the level of insult, given the proper
    "lighting".

    <...snip...

    Can 'we' assume you speak for your UK employer ,
    or,
    simply as a customer ???

    be well,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 25, 2005
  14. That should read:

    Pay Taxes or Die.

    Brian Brunner, Feb 27, 2005
  15. Jim

    0_Qed Guest

    Actually, the entire NH State 'motto' mite have been
    ==> http://www.nh.gov/nhinfo/emblem.html

    And ...
    theres too much sewage in Boston Harbor
    to hold a 'tea' party 'there', anymore.