IC7-G bootup, monitor video card slow to 'kick-in'..........

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Andy, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi all, new IC7-G here (original bios 23 i believe, sys as follows....

    P4-2.8C @ 2.8 to start with
    2x512 pc4000

    dvd ide1 master
    dvd burner ide1 slave

    2 x 60Gg ide2 master & slave

    2 x 200Gg Sata1 & Sata2

    Leadtek 6800GT 256 (w/ 1 molex power input)

    Audigy

    Pci LAN

    Enermax 465

    Benq FP2091 21" lcd

    ....i recently builtup this system and just got it running. The first
    problem i've run into is during boot the monitor doesn't seem to receive a
    signal until after both bios screens pass by. The video card has it's own
    4pin molex...i think i'm also running the same line onto two of the hdds.
    Should i run a seperate power lead direct to video card? Is the video card
    'browning-out'? if not can anyone help me out? I have the bios set to agp
    first and not pci. The power supply should be enough, i will probably take
    out the two 60 Gg drives once i get the data tranferred and just run with
    the two 200 Gg satas.

    Thx for any suggestions.

    Andy, Aug 31, 2004

  2. You should update this to 25 as a matter of course, but unfortunately this
    is unlikely to make any difference to the issue you're seeing.
    Eh? Why are you using a PCI network card when your motherboard has the CSA
    gigabit LAN chip? If you need a second network port (so you can use the PC
    as a home router etc.), fair enough. If, however, you only need the one
    pipe, junk the PCI card and use the onboard networking.

    The CSA network chip communicates directly with the memory controller hub
    (i.e. northbridge) on the motherboard, bypassing the PCI bus completely.
    Thus, even if you don't take advantage of its gigabit capability, it still
    offers a system performance advantage over PCI cards.
    Does this mean you're unable to get into the motherboard's BIOS at all? If
    so how have you managed to overclock your P4 2.6C as mentioned further up?
    What happens if you repeatedly hit the DEL key "blindly", does the monitor
    eventually
    power up and show the BIOS setup screen?
    Under ideal circumstances, yes, but in truth it's unlikely to make a
    noticeable difference unless your power supply is one of those with split
    12V rails.
    Doubt it.
    The solution to your problem is most likely to be within the video card and
    its BIOS, or maybe in the LCD monitor's power-up sequencing/power saving
    settings. There's certainly no generic issue with the motherboard's BIOS
    failing to initialise the video card in a timely fashion.
    Unless you actually have both a PCI and AGP video card in your box, this
    setting will make no difference.
    Indeed it should be, full complement of hard disks or not. This issue
    doesn't look like anything directly related to the adequacy (or otherwise)
    of the power supply.
    Suggest you try another monitor, to see if that switches on any quicker. If
    this solves the problem, see if there's anything you can do to tweak the
    BenQ's configuration or power saving settings. If swapping the display makes
    no difference, see if there's a BIOS update, configuration utility, or
    similar available for your graphics card that will address this issue.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hello, thx for the reply. On the bios yeah that's first on the list to do.

    Pci-Lan because i mostly run Linux and i didn't wan't to futz
    with onboard chip drivers at the moment, just going with what i know.
    I plan to use the onboard network shortly once i get the major issues
    sorted.

    I guess i should have been more detailed, during boot, the monitor seems
    to receive an intermittent signal, during post, the monitor may flash some
    'bios text' briefly and the monitor flashes a 'no signal' info box several
    times.....by the time the lilo bootloader starts, the monitor has a stable
    video signal. If i hit 'del' at the beep during boot i can get into bios.
    (that's 2.8 @ 2.8, just showing i haven't turned things up yet.)

    Right, understood on everything coming off the same 12V rail. The Benq FP
    worked as it should on a BD-7 mainboard with a Ti4400. I will try a
    different monitor....and also see what happens when i boot windows.
    Possibly may also be something in the acpi module of the multiprocessor
    kernel i'm booting with this HT processor. ...i could also try booting
    into the plain vanilla kernel.

    rgds,
    Andy.

    Andy, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    .....wait a minute, obviously it's not the kernel or booting into windows
    if it nappens during bios post only, thinkin about too many things at once
    here.....

    Andy, Aug 31, 2004
  5. Rofl. correct! :-D I was just about to post to that effect when I read your
    second message!

    Problem definitely seems to be somewhere between the monitor and the
    graphics card. More likely to be the card if the BenQ's behaviour on the
    other card is anything to go by. Play out the process of elimination and
    things will be clearer, if nothing else. :)

    Richard Hopkins, Aug 31, 2004
  6. Andy

    Tim R. Guest

    Though it won't solve the underlying problem, you can use hard disk
    delay feature in BIOS to give the monitor enough time to stabilize
    before the BIOS boot screen disappears.

    Tim R., Aug 31, 2004
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Righto, thx for the tips, will try a few things when i get home this
    weekend.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2004
  8. Andy

    Andy Guest

    ....thx for that, was not aware of that feature..i will keep that one
    in my back pocket if my troubleshooting goes poorly.

    rgds.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Andy

    TomG Guest

    try hitting the pause key on the keyboard early in the POST sequence to stop
    forward progress and see if the monitor ever comes up. if the monitor is
    just going into a standby mode temporarily and then coming back online, it
    may stay dark for some or all of the POST sequence. if that is all it is,
    then the monitor should come up while the system is frozen in pause mode.

    if the monitor does not come up, you still don't know why but at least you
    know for a fact that the video card is not driving it to come up.

    I have never had an issue with the power lead coming to the video card
    sharing some other devices but it is simple enough to prove out even if it
    means leaving a device temporarily unplugged long enough to go through a
    POST sequence or three as a test...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Sep 1, 2004
  10. Andy

    Andy Guest

    ....thx for the input Tom, i will try that and post back to newsgroup what
    i find out from all the suggestions. It did appear that the monitor
    was going in and out of standby as the bios comes up.

    Andy, Sep 4, 2004