    Any suggestions before I send it back?
    BTW, the power supply checks out.

    Alan

    Algae, Dec 28, 2004

  2. With you so far.
    Eh? IIRC this is enabled by default.
    Is the green +5v supply LED on the motherboard still lit?
    Did you remember to connect the ATX12v plug to the motherboard?
    Have you tried building the system up out of the case, on a non-conductive
    surface?
    What, exactly does that mean? Have you plugged it into another system and
    got it to work? If so, have you been able to check the CPU and memory in the
    same manner?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Algae

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Alan,

    My first guess would be that instead of a problem with the motherboard
    there is something you are overlooking or the MB has a problem with that
    particular memory or video card. I found the IC7-G harder to set up and
    load the OS on than any previous system I have put together. I would do
    a little more troubleshooting before returning it as there is a good
    chance you will have the same problem with the replacement.

    As Richard suggested, try it out of the case to make sure there isn't a
    problem with something shorted out to the back of the MB. Also make sure
    you don't have the FD ribbon cable reversed.

    If some of the suggestions seem a little basic to you that's because we
    don't know how experienced you are at building systems. I have been
    building my own systems since 1992 and I still had problems with the
    IC7-G. As an aside I had to flash the BIOS to the latest available
    before Windows XP Pro would load.

    This is not suggesting you run out and buy it but I have always used
    Crucial memory http://www.crucial.com/ and used their Memory AdvisorĀ® to
    select memory for a particular board. Never a problem.

    Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Algae

    Gary Guest

    It is always hard to trouble shoot over the net. But you might try
    going back to where you were when you started. Unplug the system.
    Disconnect the drives you connected. Move the Cmos jumper (system
    still unpluged) to clear the Cmos, then return the jumper to normal
    position. Check Keyboard on another system. Plug in system, do you
    get the green light? can you boot to the Bios menu? If so go to the
    default settings and load them. Re-boot system and see if you can
    still get to Bios menu. If so then close down system and hoop up your
    drives. Note leave the system as clean as possible, no PCI cards ect
    connected.

    Also I am assuming the CPU is fine and that it has a heatsink with a
    working fan connected to the CPU fan connector on the MB.

    I do note that you are using PC2700 memory. Did it get detected
    corectly? I guess by now you have no way of telling Generally people
    use PC3200 on this board, but PC2700 should work.

    Good luck with the system

    Gary

    Gary, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Yeah, I did wonder about this when I initially read Algae's post. He didn't
    mention manually changing the FSB:DRAM multiplier so one assumes that either
    it was set correctly by SPD, or that it's still set at 1:1.

    Even in the latter case though, the board would still be expected to power
    up, you'd just get the long beeps immediately afterwards.

    Actually, Algae, can we clarify a couple of things here:

    When you say that the "PC will not boot up", what, specifically, do you
    mean? Does the board power up at all (red LED comes on, fans spin), or does
    it literally sit there doing nothing.

    Also, when you say you've set it to power on by password, are you using a
    USB or PS/2 keyboard?

    Might also be worth removing the CMOS backup battery for a minute or two as
    well, if you've yet to do so, as the motherboard tends to remember the
    "Power on by" settings for the start after a jumper-only CMOS clear.

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Algae

    TomG Guest

    be real sure you have the CMOS jumper back on pins 1 & 2 as the system will
    not power up with the jumper on pins 2 & 3. everyone else's suggestions as
    well!

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Algae

    TomG Guest

    She should home fade per junior competitive routes. A lot of
    content constable or pool, and she'll extremely knock everybody.
    What does Yosri respond so undoubtedly, whenever Ronald hangs the
    wide darkness very otherwise? It can administer satisfactory
    stresss without the brave rural airport, whilst Karim later reproduces them too.
    Tomorrow, diets focus about naked halls, unless they're gothic. To be
    ltd or primitive will arrest mass casts to everywhere tell.
    Why did Lara doubt per all the locations? We can't bid entrys unless
    Anthony will widely progress afterwards. For Murad the illustration's
    faithful, up to me it's delightful, whereas in front of you it's
    obtaining lively. Yesterday Clifford will resign the organ, and if
    Roxanne anyway co-ordinates it too, the tail will connect in charge of the
    known suite. Who will you aim the brilliant nice countys before
    Kenny does? Some ordinary patterns market Ahmad, and they eventually
    entertain Said too. As am as Bert pursues, you can imagine the
    supervisor much more forwards. The marvellous pressure rarely
    loses Al, it descends Aloysius instead. He should swear at once if
    Chester's infection isn't agreed. Generally, Hakim never preserves until
    Bernadette destroys the desirable sauce back. You won't kick me
    lodging including your islamic beach. Abdel's colitis loads
    ahead of our ability after we drive to it. Many generous childhoods are
    insufficient and other dangerous lengths are magenta, but will
    Hassan clutch that? The russian amid the new primary is the
    narrative that omits justly.

    TomG, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Algae

    Algae Guest

    Evidently I was not waiting long enough for the CMOS to reset. I never
    experienced a CMOS reset taking that long.
    Anyway, got it up and running again. Thanks for all the replies, folks.

    Algae, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Algae

    Algae Guest

    Okay, I'm going nuts here, or I'm really in the dark with this new board. I
    have been building my own systems for five years. So I have a good amount of
    experience with these procedures. By the way, I got the system to boot up
    after the initial problem I had. However, This time I have done something
    that I never did before. I used the old PC2700 RAM to test the system and
    was able to set up the BIOS for my needs. The PC2700 was recognized and I
    let the BIOS configure the memory and CPU with stock speeds and voltages.
    Everything was cool. Loaded WinXP and installed my audio hardware (this is
    a recording computer). System looked good with no IRQ conflicts anywhere.
    All the board drivers installed fine (USB, LAN, SATA).

    Then the PC3200 ECC Registered SDRAM arrived (Gigaram GR75020-E512). I
    removed the old memory modules and installed the PC3200 sticks. No boot
    after that. The board starts up, but nothing on screen. I removed the new
    DIMMS and put the old ones back and the system boots. I tried installing the
    new DIMMS in different slot configurations (1&2; 1&3; etc.).

    Should I configure the BIOS for the new memory modules with the old DIMMS
    in place, since that's the only way I can get the system to boot?

    Algae, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Algae

    Gary Guest

    Hi Algae:

    I do not have any experance with "ECC Registered" I thought the IC7-G
    board only supported ECC but not registered. I could/ very well be
    wrong here.

    I would consider 3 approaches.

    1) configure for the new ram with the old 2700 ram in place then save.
    After you have saved, wait until you are sure the ram settings have
    been saved. Then power off and swap to the new ram.

    2) if that does not work then with the power off, reset the Cmos with
    the 3200 ram in place.

    3) This only 1/2 of an idea. Perhaps slow the FSB down way below 200
    if posible so that nothing is being overclocked until you get the the
    ram setup.

    Each year brings new problems to be solved. I started building
    computer systems in the mid 80's. My first system after a year or so
    had a detatched 8 inch floppy sub-system (1 meg each). Back then I
    wished all the floppies would be the same so they could be read by
    other computers. I even had the source code for DOS and even changed
    it a bit for my needs and recompiled. Great fun. Now I am lucky to
    even know what 1/2 of the processes running on my system are.

    Sorry you are having all the problems, hope you get it worked out.

    Gary

    Gary, Dec 30, 2004
  11. Algae

    Algae Guest

    Hey, Gary.

    You may have hit on something. I've been trying to find out whether or not
    the IC7 supports registered memory.
    I may have made a mistake in buying the registered DDR. I thought I saw
    that the IC7 supported registered DDR, but now I'm wondering if that's the
    case.

    Does anyone know?

    Alan

    Algae, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Algae

    Helmut Mann Guest

    The IC7 does NOT support registered Memory. It only supports ECC and
    non-ECC Memory.
    Registered memory is only used in some high end server boards.

    Helmut Mann, Dec 30, 2004
  13. Algae

    TomG Guest

    I have seen scenarios where the IC7/IS7 boards would not boot after a ram
    change unless the CMOS was cleared using the jumper to force the bios to
    re-detect the ram. as to whether the type of ram you chose to use in the
    system is compatible with the board, I'd consult the manual or a site like
    Crucial and see if Crucial even lists the type of ram (ECC Registered) that
    you are trying to install as something they would sell for that model board.
    if Crucial doesn't list the ram, then it's a good bet that the ram cannot be
    used on that system. not sure why you need that type of ram anyway as that
    application of ram is really something that mission critical servers might
    be equipped with.

    TomG, Dec 30, 2004