IC7-G Drive Lockups - Serillel Adaptor on a Maxtor 80GB Drive

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mike, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi all,

    Hope someone can give me some ideas. Upgraded machine and its been working
    fine for a few days, no overclocking going on and a Maxtor 80/7200 on the
    SATA via Serillel 2 adaptor.

    The other day XP locked while logging on, drive light perminently on, then
    XP eventually went to BSOD. It does this everytime now within the first few
    minutes. Looking like the controller was locking up rather than the
    machine, I removed the Serillel and attached the drive to the standard IDE
    ribbon, and its been working fine.

    Retried the adaptor again and got a disk error during boot, I have no SATA
    drive to try, Overclockers.co.uk (BTW: great service this time round!) are
    sending another Serillel to try, hope its not the SATA controller on my new
    board!

    Anyone had something similar? I noticed an issue with SATA and maxtor drives
    on the new bios 16 release - anyone know anything about that?

    Machine:
    Abit IC7-G (Bios 15)
    P4 2.8C (Not Overclocked)
    512 OCZ PC4000
    Maxtor 80/7200 ATA133 on SATA via Adaptor
    Geforce4 440

    Thanks,

    Mike

    (Please remove NOSPAM when replying)

    Mike, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Mike

    TomG Guest

    you should flash up to the newest released bios of 1.7 and see how things
    go. There are known issues with earlier version of bios and Maxtor drives
    in particular with true SATA drives but not sure of any issues with PATA on
    Serillel-2 adapters.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Okay, flashed to 1.7 with same results, locks up and requires a power cycle
    before its detected again.

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Mike

    TomG Guest

    I've not heard of anyone else having this problem. almost sounds like the
    drive itself may be having issues although I realize that you say it worked
    fine on the regular IDE ports. about the only thing left besides the drive
    is a bad Serillel-2 adapter.

    TomG, Oct 25, 2003