IC7-G..ICH5...Sil...RAID & Maxtor???

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Paul Duffy, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Paul Duffy

    Paul Duffy Guest

    Hi

    I have a IC7-G mobo that in itself works fine. However I've had
    problems getting P-ATA drives to work using SATA and adaptors other then
    Serilel...however that is now resolved.

    I recently got 4 Maxtor 200gb SATA drives to set up RAID on the board,
    the drives all work perfectly on the ICH5 SATA connectors in IDE mode
    and work using any pair from four in RAID mode on the Sil SATA
    connectors. However when the drives are set up as RAID pair on the ICH5
    connectors they will lose connectivity on anything other then a 'switch
    off' reset (So soft reboots, reset button reboots and OS initiated
    reboots all cause the drives to disappear from the POST screen) but if
    the machine is physically switched off the drives re-appear in the POST
    screen on ICH5 RAID and the RAID is still intact.

    I'm running BIOS 1.9 on the ABIT, have ensured USB support is turned to
    OS in the BIOS and set delay for IDE for up to 15 seconds. Busmastering
    for IDE can be on or off (no difference) and IDE channel 1 can be
    enabled or disabled (no difference).

    The drives have been tested with three different sets of SATA cables all
    to no avail.

    Having read the forums and newsgroups the consensus view is that there
    is a known problem on connecting drives to the ICH5 interface and
    although various things have been tried people are waiting for a BIOS
    fix (It's interesting to note that the IC7-Max3 board BIOS v1.2 has this
    problem listed in it's fixes for the BIOS...).

    IC7-MAX3
    BIOS ID:12
    Fixed the booting failure problem of Maxtor SATA HDD (Model name:
    6Y120M0) in ICH5R RAID 0 status.

    Anyone got any thoughts or ideas or am I waiting for ABIT?

    Paul Duffy, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Paul Duffy

    TomG Guest

    no issues with my IC7-G with two Maxtor 120 gig SATA drives on the Intel
    ICH5R raid controller set in a raid 0 array. it seems odd that your
    Maxtor's would have a problem and mine would not... I was running 1.9 bios
    up until 2.0 got released but did not have any issues with any of the recent
    bios's from around 1.7 or so on up...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Paul Duffy

    Dave Hau Guest

    Make sure you have the PCI bus locked at 33MHz. The ICH5 southbridge does
    not like to be overclocked, even the slightest bit.

    - Dave

    Dave Hau, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Paul Duffy

    Paul Duffy Guest

    Not overclocking at all this is a 2.4Ghz running as a 2.4Ghz.

    Paul Duffy, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Paul Duffy

    Paul Duffy Guest

    Well

    There is definately an issue with IC7-G and Maxtor drives on the ICH5
    SATA interface.

    After my posting of the other day I got hold of a couple of WD Raptors.
    These work on the ICH5 SATA setup without any of the problems I had with
    the Maxtors...perhaps even more interesting is after getting the machine
    built I decided to connect the Maxtors to the Sil SATA connectors at the
    same time as the Raptors were on the ICH5 and all the system is working
    fine with no problems...I can even get the Intel RAID accelerator to
    work correctly.

    I have to wonder if this is related to the issue regarding Abit
    requiring only their Serillel adaptor be used for PATA drives on the
    ICH5. And find the fact that they've had to issue a fix for Maxtor
    drives 'dropping off' the ICH5 on the IC7-Max3 highly significant. I'll
    be posting this in the Abit forums as well to see if I get any help
    there.

    Regards

    Paul Duffy, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Paul Duffy

    TomG Guest

    I knew that there was a problem with Maxtor drives with the early bios
    versions on the IC7 series boards but that was fixed, at least with the IC7
    (non MAX3) after a couple of bios updates early in the history of the
    board...

    TomG, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Still try locking the buses to fixed. I have two SATA Maxtor 120G drives in
    RAID 0 on BIOS 2.0 and the latest Intel RAID drivers and software and have
    had zero problems from day one. It won't hurt anything to lock it!

    Edward Lee Ah Yen, Jan 30, 2004